You can type here any text you want

timing chain parts list

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shocker998md

alright guys when i get back in town i plan on tearing into the GN to replace the timing chain. I have about two weeks to find out what other parts i will need so that i can order them while im away from the car. So far i have:
Edelbrock timing chain and gear
Timing cover gasket
Rear main seal
oil pan gasket
water pump
T stat

I know that i need the cam button, i guess i can order that from gbodyparts. Can anybody think of anything else that i need to mess with while im in there. I do plan on inspecting my driver side motor mount while ive got stuff out of the way, im suspecting it may be bad and causing my false knock. Thanks for any help guys.

The stock timing chain bolts work fine, BUT......if you have time and can spare $20, then order ARP cam gear bolts. (Jegs, Summit, or vendor-shipping charges are high from Jegs/Summit for $10 bolts). You will also need Red threadlocker for the cam gear bolts. Be sure you spray the bolts and bolt holes with brake cleaner and letting them dry prior to applying the thread locking compound.
Roller cam thrust bumper is available from who ever you buy the bolts from, even your corner parts store, though they will most likely have to order it. A tube of "The Right Stuff" silicone sealant and Teflon threas sealant for the timing cover bolts. Apply it to all the threads holding the timing cover on.
Now would also be a good time to port/blueprint the front cover and install a new waterpump.

Ive got a new water pump waiting to go in. Thanks for the info on the locktight and thread sealer. Ive been reading up on gnttype, hopefully the job wont be too bad. Ive got plenty of oil pressure, would i really benifit from messing with the front cover? I remember reading a how to on how to drill out some holes in the cover, and then how to set up the oil pump and all but would it really be needed? Is raising the oil pressure the only thing that is the benifit of working on the cover?

Thanks for the info guys. When you send the roller button can be gotten at the local part store is it a cross referenced part?

Ive got a new water pump waiting to go in. Thanks for the info on the locktight and thread sealer. Ive been reading up on gnttype, hopefully the job wont be too bad. Ive got plenty of oil pressure, would i really benifit from messing with the front cover? I remember reading a how to on how to drill out some holes in the cover, and then how to set up the oil pump and all but would it really be needed? Is raising the oil pressure the only thing that is the benifit of working on the cover?

Thanks for the info guys. When you send the roller button can be gotten at the local part store is it a cross referenced part?

Its not about PSi its about Volume.

Do a search for Earl Browns timing cover mods. Not to put DD's mods down but Earls mods work and he has pics of what to look for when doing the work.

Do a search for Earl Browns timing cover mods. Not to put DD's mods down but Earls mods work and he has pics of what to look for when doing the work.

I was just posting where he could find the "how to" using Earls methods.

hey do you guys know the part number for the cam bolts, and does earl brown still set up the covers? i thought i read somewhere that he was stopping.

He advertised his cover in the "for sale" section last week and added his email so you should be able to contact him.

And more importantly... Efficiency :)

Did you ever get your cover straightened out?

Welcome Earl. Did you get the note Mike left for you on the other board yet? Hope you 2 can get something worked out. I doubt that you will be able to make it to Noble but you might be able to sell some of your covers there.

And more importantly... Efficiency :)

Did you ever get your cover straightened out?

Im waiting to get mine, it should be here in a couple of days. Hopefully I can work on it sometime in the near future but I now have a 1.5 hr drive to and from work :eek:, so it will be a weekend project. I'll let you know how it turns out Earl.

Back