You can type here any text you want

timing chain, what else while im in there

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shocker998md

so my car has 80k on it and im getting ready to do the timing chain. I have been thinking about swaping the cam out since it will already be torn into and it would be right there to do. What else is there to do for preventative maintanece or any no brainers to do while im in there. And when i do put the cam in i will be changing out the stock valve springs too. thanks for any input guys.

I guess depending on what type of timing chain you use, a new tensioner, updated cam button, check oil pump gears, make sure not scored, while your in there check rear main seal. Check front cover for excessive wear also.

when you bolt the balancer back on, make sure to put a little locktite on the threads and torque it to spec. I think its around 220ftlbs. I did this same job years ago. My balancer came loose and caused all kinds of problems. Took me 3 months to figure it out.

If you still are running your stock water pump it would be a great time to change that as well.

And check the front cover if the chain has come appart i had to replace mine

I'm in the exact same boat....78k and changing the timing chain. I've had a mid-throttle tick that I haven't been able to find and the car idles a little rough. All compressions checked good, but I'm wondering if a cam and lifter change should be done while I have the front off. I have new stock springs I was going to install with the heads still on the engine, but would be easier with the heads off for the cam change.

The car only idles around 10 - 15 psi oil pressure, so I going to check that as well.

Have discovered the typical exhaust manifold crack between 3 & 5 exhaust pipes, so that's on my list, too.

Got to be careful.....next thing I know, the entire car will be disassembled for a frame off restoration:eek: (been down that road before)

Back