You can type here any text you want

timing chain

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo85

I have a 87 t-type and I want to change the timing chain. I would like to keep it stock, I am looking at a timing chain on ta performance with stock application (just a regular chain and gears) Or should I go with a double roller chain and gear set up. Is there any changes I have to make if I go with a double roller (rollmaster from full throttle)

This topic always gets me confused as well so i am still running with the factory one, never changed it and it has 136,000 miles on it. I want to change it and the whole front cover before the run from Fort Worth Tx to Bowling green KY and the buick nationals.

I used a comp #3129. If you go with a double roller you can get rid of the tensioner it is not used with them.

I went with Advance Auto Parts. Get one with steel (not plastic) gears.

I highly recommend you change it out as soon as you can. The stock plastic gear has a habbit of shedding teeth & causing major damage. :eek: The plastic is now at least 22 years old & brittle.

Single row steel gears, new tensioner, updated cam button, cam sensor setting tool or meter, pull the pan to make sure the front gasket seals right, and prime it with a drill after the install.

Search feature has tons of good threads on how to do it right. :cool:

Altho, the GM stock plastic gears are usually good for an easy 100K & are a bit quieter. Expensive but you can get them from Mike at Special Additions.com

PS: I would base my decision on what motor I'm building. Stock for the street & some fun now & then & GM stock stuff.
10 sec ride then a double roller. Just remember they do stretch over time.

I run a Roll Master. I was told it is the best when building my engine but I guess that comes down to who you talk to.

Back