Timing or fuel question

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I drove the car to work and found I had the boost set too low. I was getting 790 - 800 O2 and no knock at WOT 16psi. So I stopped and upped it to 20psi. Still getting same numbers on flat ground but alot more power obviously. Going up a hill on the way home, I floored it. It dropped into 2nd gear and my audible knock detector beeped, the knock gauge was all the way to red and I let out quickly. The scanmaster recall showed 812 O2, 5.6* KR at WOT 2nd gear, 20psi boost. I am not logging currently. I don't even know what the wideband was reading but it is usually 12:1 at WOT on the gas scale.

I think I should take out a little timing in the Turbotweak chip, maybe 1*?

Opinions appreciated. There is nothing banging up front but I did hear a clunk in the left rear of the car that I think is a body bushing possibly.

Try slow rolling it in 3rd gear and see if it knocks then. If it does lower boost. If it doesn't then something could be banging when you mashed the pedal or the kick down could have caused it. BTW, o2 reading of 790 - 800 on the scanmaster is not too bad. If running pump gas that's about where you want to be. But every car is different. Better little too rich than too lean though.

I wouldn't be as lean as 12:1 A/ F ratio at WOT. 11.0-11.5 is better.
Just my .02

Ok I will up the fuel in the chip. Thanks for the replies. I want to run more boost. My chip says 23* - 21*, 23 - 25 psi on the back. I have forgotten what that means.

I believe its 23 degrees timing in first and second gear, 21 in high gear.
Target boost 23-25 psi.

Ok I will up the fuel in the chip. Thanks for the replies. I want to run more boost. My c0hip says 23* - 21*, 23 - 25 psi on the back. I have forgotten what that means.

23 is timing for 1/2. 21 is timing for 3/4. 23-25 is the level of boost it's set to run, if you still use the factory wastegate solenoid. Do you ever test your E85 ?. If your normal driving it's not a super big issue, to me. If I'm racing on it, I'm testing it, end of subject. My target numbers are 750 for the O2 and 11.5 on the WB, on E85. I always keep around 5-7% fuel in all the gears, except first gear. I've run more timing and boost than this, with no KR at all and my WB numbers around 10.7-11.0, 02 readings around 735-740. Probably just the incline, when your downshifted it, might have even been false knock when it downshifted ?. Add at least 5% fuel to the chip, that's a good starting point.

Thanks. A good receipe is always appreciated. Isn't 750 O2 lean and 11.5 kind of rich? That sounds conflicting to me. I do test my E85. It is dead on 85%.

Thanks. A good receipe is always appreciated. Isn't 750 O2 lean and 11.5 kind of rich? That sounds conflicting to me. I do test my E85. It is dead on 85%.

Got those numbers from Eric Marshall, for E85. 11.5 is border of going lean and so is 750. This is with 43lbs fuel pressure. Living on the safe side and still making good power would be 11.0 and 775. About to upgrade to 80lb injectors, DW300 and the SD2 chip. I'm looking for an extra 15-30 hp, think I can get there with this.

Were you in Bowling Green last year ?. Saw your in Nashville, I stayed 3 days in Nashville, before BG. Soak in some Music and Sights. Plus Hattie B's !!!..

I use to have a audible knock alarm and a knock gauge. Always thought they were a must. Now I have neither. They did nothing but give false alarms. A scanmaster is all you need IMO.

Once a car is tuned in high gear with no knock, disregard knock in lower gears. Its false.

my $.02

I use to have a audible knock alarm and a knock gauge. Always thought they were a must. Now I have neither. They did nothing but give false alarms. A scanmaster is all you need IMO.

Once a car is tuned in high gear with no knock, disregard knock in lower gears. Its false.

my $.02

Scanmaster, Power Logger and Wideband. I live by them.

I did not get to BG last year. We had just moved and I was traveling extensively as well. I will try to go this year. I have not been since 03.