You can type here any text you want

Timing set replacement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
I'm making a springtime push to get my hybrid build finished up. While the front clip is still off, I'm thinking of replacing the timing set. Having never done it, what parts are necessary to gather so I'll have everything needed when I start? The engine has 77k on it, so do I even need to replace it?

Definately replace it. Mine popped at 78000 last year. I don't know if the NOS set is still available b/c I went straight to the double roller. Comes with new sprockets and chain. U need a new gasket set for timing cover replacement, oil pan gasket, and cam sensor tool if you don't know how to set it the 'ol skool' way. Try a search. ;)

Hmm, I was unaware the oil pan has to come off. I also saw another thread where the crank bolt has to torque to 230 ft lbs. Anyone have a 250 ft lb torque wrench?

I puulled the oil pan to do the rear main so u may not have to. I used a 1/2" impact for a torque wrench and a little loctite. So far so good.

If you do go with a double roller chain, you must remove the old tensioner. It is not needed with the roller and will be chewed up and clog your oil pump screen !!

You don't have to pull the pan. If you tear the pan gasket then you want to pull it. Normally I loosen the first few pan bolts on each side then the cover will come off.

HTH

Back