You can type here any text you want

Timing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reginald West

I heard this from a reliable source that I consider to know what he is talking about but it goes against all that I been have doing.I have always taken timing out of the in bottom hafe of the map to get the car to spool up to about 4000 before I leave,the theory being less timing hotter exhaust gas, turbo spools quicker.This guy tells me he does just the opposite he adds 40 degrees of timing up to the launch rpm to make the turbo spool. Did I miss the boat on this part of tunning ? Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Thoughts please

REG :confused:

Yes you somewhat missed the boat lol. You add lots of advance and run a somewhat leaner mixture to get the turbo to spool on an automatic car wether it be on foot brake with a stall or on the trans brake. You pull lots of timing and start dumping the fuel to a stick shifter car (anything your trying to spool with no load) to get the turbo to spool. So you had it right, just on the wrong car ;) Drew

Drew
Thanks for the response I can't wait to try it the other way. Will it hurt to drive a street car with that kind of timing in it or should this be a drag strip only set up?

REG

Reg, your welcome. No it will not hurt a street car to be tuned like this, just remember not to be to agressive for the fuel your using. Most folks start in the mid to upper 30's and then preogresively reduce it with boost, but er on the safe side when first tuning. Drew

Back