You can type here any text you want

Timing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

walkmang

Finally got the car running after replacing timing chain and installing the turbo setup, using a non modified edelbrock carb. Also still using the stock hei dizzy ( converted to 4pin) car idles high around 1200 rpm. Put it in drive and it dies. wants to over heat but the fan kicks in to control that. Headers get red hot and cannot get the idle down. Car spits when you Rev it. thinking it may be the distributor....so

I replaced the dizzy with a 79 vacuum advance type but cannot set the timing correct to get it to run again. I did pull the plugs and wires to start fresh with the new distributor and believe I may have that wrong. Ive done it a dozen times before and always got it right, someone bring me back up to speed with setting timing from the install of this new distributor. What am i missing. All help is appreciated, tired of banging my head against the wall.
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=gVucGpp-mko&u=/watch?v=usvuYlj0Y2Q&feature=em-upload_owner

With the idle that high and the headers glowing, that means that the engine is running really lean. The idle mixture screws need to be at least 3 full turns out, if the edlecrap carb is actually working. I have yet to find one that does.

To get a base NA timing you'll need to bring #1 up to the top of the compression stroke at 0 degrees timing first. Then, by hand, turn the engine backwards until you get about 12 TDC on the timing marks. Make sure the rotor is off so you can see the teeth on the distributor and shaft. They need to be point to point and the rotor needs to be on the #1 position on the cap. This will hopefully let it start and you can adjust from there. Remember you need to adjust the carb to get it around 600 to 700 rpm so use the idle speed and mixture screws to get it there first. Then use a timing light and see where the timing is.

Make sure the vacuum advance is plugged so it won't effect things while you try and get things going. Good luck.

Thank Charlie!! Did exactly what you said..gave it a couple pumps of gas and she fired right up. Now to get rid of this carb.

Back