You can type here any text you want

Timken Axle Saver Bearings. Should I?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
Timken offers a new bearing and seal that relocates the axle bearing on the end and the seal is on the inside. The purpose is to save an axle that may be worn and it can now ride on a unused smooth surface.

I am installing new axles, but I like that the bearing is farther out and offers better support for the axle, but am concerned that the bearings are greased and will not be getting any of the gear lube.

I bought a set thinking they were just the bearings. I am having a hard time finding Made in USA bearings. I don't drive it much, but think the bearings may be more susceptible to dirt.

Input on pros and cons please.

Here is a link with pics.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/1403-10-bolt-bearing-upgrade/

The problem I've seen on some is that the seal would be interrupted by the weld on the back of the flange. I haven't attempted to use one of those bearings in 15 years so it's possible it's been re-designed

BPE2013@hotmail.com

The problem I've seen on some is that the seal would be interrupted by the weld on the back of the flange. I haven't attempted to use one of those bearings in 15 years so it's possible it's been re-designed

BPE2013@hotmail.com

The reviews have been mostly good. I mainly would use it because it is all US made.
If I can find some JH14070 bearings made here then I may just stick with the factory set up.

When the axle breaks its usually right where the axle comes out of the spider gear at the posi carrier. I have never seen a axle issue that I feel would have been helped with the bearing being further outboard. This may be something that doesnt need to be over thought. You have a very nice looking car, and a quite impressive stable full of other goodies. Is the chevelle an original l-88 car?

When the axle breaks its usually right where the axle comes out of the spider gear at the posi carrier. I have never seen a axle issue that I feel would have been helped with the bearing being further outboard. This may be something that doesnt need to be over thought. You have a very nice looking car, and a quite impressive stable full of other goodies. Is the chevelle an original l-88 car?

Agreed. Thats why I upgraded to the 30 spline. I found a USA made bearing at Napa. Part # is R1563TAV. Taking the axle saving bearings back even though they are Timken. Fyi, AutoZone is replacing all of the Timken with Duralast made in China. Same part #'s. The Napa # is the same at AutoZone too, but you get the axle savers. The original # on the factory bearing is JH14070. Hope this helps in future searches.

No, not original. I wish! It would have to be a Motion, Yenko or Berger. Is an original SS396 though. Thanks for the kind words.

Back