You can type here any text you want

tires build date and shelf life?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
i am looking at buying a set of tires (2) that were built in 2008, is this norm for new tires?
Or
is this too old for new tires?

thanks for your help.

LOL!!!:D

I've got a set of Firestone Parnelli Jones tires on the rack waitin for something Cool to put em on if that's any indication of anything...

the short story
i just got a set of wheels 18x8 and 18x9.5 and in my searches i have found tires that are crazy expensive and some others close to half price.
the discounted ones have build dates of 2008 and even older to 2005.

if 7 years is it a 05 tire should be on its way to the recycle bin:mad:

in the past i just looked for dry cracks but at over $250.00 each:eek: i am checking date codes.

Last year I went to by 2 tires for one of my cars as the previous owner had el cheapos on and they had a seperation bump come up. Long story short the guy at the tire place was gonna give me a "Deal". The tires were like half price, I smelled a rat and asked him if I could see them. He pulled them and boom...4 year old new tires.. He started squirming when I read the date code.

Have you checked tire rack? They will send them right to your door. I picked up 2 sets for my old G35 that had factory 18's for 400 ish.

Rubber starts deteriorating the minute it comes out fo the mold. Generally after 5 years it's pretty rotten, but think how long the rubber bushings in your car have been there. It has to do with age and how it was kept in storage. climate has a lot to do with it as well. If it was in an area that doesn't get that hot during the summer then it's in better condition than a hot area. Sunlight has an effect on tires as well. The more sun expesure the rubber gets the more damage it will have.

A F*** Exploder owner lost his son & 3 others died with 9 year old tires - he had only put the tires on 4 years prior to the issue.

In my post about squirly steering a week ago on here, I detailed my problem chasing over the past 2 years. Checked or replaced everything with no luck. It finally was solved when I replaced a set of Nitto Drag Radials that were getting down to the wear bar but still had life in them. BUT they were going on 8 years old and obviously had gotten HARD. New M/T's solved the problem.

Back