To gasket or not to gasket..

SuperSix

Flaccid Member
I'll be replacing my headers soon, and wondered if a header > turbo gasket is required. I know they didn't come from the factory like that, but I want to eliminate any and all possibilities of leaks..

i would definately put one in, not the copper one though, ramchargers sells one made out of some other kind of material, forget what its called.:D

Make sure both surfaces are very flat, then smear just a little high temp RTV (or ultra copper) on the flange. Gaskets sometimes have a tendency to allow the flanges to bend when you tighten them, especially copper.

Originally posted by turbosam6
Make sure both surfaces are very flat, then smear just a little high temp RTV (or ultra copper) on the flange. Gaskets sometimes have a tendency to allow the flanges to bend when you tighten them, especially copper.

I totally agree. Been there done that. My header flange was warped because I used a GM gasket with the fire ring in there. Once you use a gasket you will have to use one for life.

Originally posted by c&cgn
I totally agree. Been there done that. My header flange was warped because I used a GM gasket with the fire ring in there. Once you use a gasket you will have to use one for life.

I was wondering what the downside of using a gasket on the exhaust......I guess that's it. Well, if it is, that's not much of a downside. Taking the damn thing off and on because it leaks is what I call a downside. I'd suggest cutting the flange between the exhaust ports. I just use regular cheapy gaskets. Complete set of two, sandwiched together on each side. They cost about $5 to $7 a set......one set on each side.

:confused: God......it's the alzheimers kickin' in. Oh OK..........in that case, definitely get the Riviera gasket. I've used them over and over. Much better than the copper gasket. ;)