You can type here any text you want

to SD2/Powerlogger or not

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nolanator

@none_more_black
Hi everyone,
I've run into the predicament/opportunity of purchasing a car that has had some work done to it (see sig), and currently runs on a 20-25psi TurboTweak 5.7 chip burnt for 91 octane and Alky., but maintains the factory MAF sensor. If my guessing is correct, I could make a little more power by purchasing an LS1 MAF and and a MAF translator, and it would be fine, but that seems like the easy route. My other option is to bypass the MAF all together, get rid of the 5.7 chip, and go right to the SD2, MAP, and PowerLogger.

There will most likely be a learning curve with this, but I don't want to make my decisions based off of convenience alone and have 6 months go by and be pushed into doing what I should have done the first time around.

What do you all recommend?

The car made a little over 450whp at 22psi as it is right now and that was with a blown plenum gasket. How much power could I really gain with the LS1 MAF and translator too?

Oh, it looks like the car already has the powerlogger and a 3 bar MAP sensor.

The ls1 maf and translator are used mostly because the factory maf are prone to failure and the rebuilt maf are also junk. It's not really a power adder unless your maf is bad. Some do notice better idle quality. I'm not too familiar with the S.D. 2 setup.

The ls1 maf and translator are used mostly because the factory maf are prone to failure and the rebuilt maf are also junk. It's not really a power adder unless your maf is bad. Some do notice better idle quality. I'm not too familiar with the S.D. 2 setup.

aw...but the MAF translator says horsepower in a box...:( lies?

The translator is a good piece, I'm not bashing it. I would definitely recommend it if you decide to stay with a maf setup. Its far more reliable than the original style maf sensors.

Your question is one that is very difficult to answer. Because it all depends on your ability to understand the tuning process, your patience level, etc. etc.
While the translator and LS1 MAF combo will be the easiest and quickest method to get up and running, especially if you add an Extender chip to take full advantage of the Translator's capabilities. Just a couple knobs in the Translator, and some parameters in the chip to monitor and change as needed.

The next step up is the Translator GenII and LS1 MAF. It adds quite a bit more tuning capability and another level of complexity.

One more step up the ladder is the Translator Pro and required Extender Pro chip. It has the capability to run either in MAF mode with your choice of MAF's or it's best suited to run in SD (speed density), and of course a much higher level of complexity and tuning requirements, with something just over 70 adjustment parameters along with the entire VE table, and a small WOT timing table. A wideband isn't required BUT HIGHLY recommended.

Then the top of the heap is the SD2/Powerlogger system. Since the car has Powerlogger and a 3bar map, you've got half the battle won. All that will be required is the SD2 chip its self!!!!
But of course with all that said this is the highest level of complexity and most taxing on your patience and nerves. With the SD2 chip properly setup from Eric, the system should easilly start up and run down the road right out of the box. There are many more parameters to check and monitor not only in the chip but the majority of the system runs within the Powerlogger. A full 17x17 VE table, a full 17x17 Target Air Fuel Ratio table, a full 17x17 timing table along with many other tables and parameter for boost control, fuel control and corrections, etc. etc.

The SD2 system is very popular, and it's the system I now run. It even has the capability to run Narrowband correction while at cruise, and Wideband correction during idle and wot. This mode is slick as snot and I love running it this way. The narrowband sensor is MUCH better that a wide band at maintaining very tight control of air fuel ratio during light load conditions like cruise.

Any more questions about any of these systems, don't hesitate to ask!!

get rid of the 5.7 chip,
why complicate a great thing?you can make big power and be hassle free,adjustments in the chip are easy.if you like to play and know what you are doing or need to give your tuner more options the other stuff is neat.

The car made a little over 450whp at 22psi as it is right now and that was with a blown plenum gasket. How much power could I really gain with the LS1 MAF and translator too?
turning the boost up when your ready will get the power up, years ago i went 10s on the stock maf,but i do prefer the ls1/85mm senor and a translator setup,they are available anywhere if there is an issue,with good driving behavior.

aw...but the MAF translator says horsepower in a box...:( lies?

TurboDave can fill you in on any detailed questions you have with the various options, but back in the day the MAF translator with the extender chip was horsepower in a box, it was state of the art for a factory ECM add on. Bob and Eric have just kept innovating and delivering to the point that it has been long since surpassed. The new stuff is very cool. For keeping it simple, it is still a great piece.

Back