You can type here any text you want

Too hot to feel good!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fast400

Sitting in Traffic my TTA went up to 218F today, then wouldn't go below 200F in stop and go traffic. The ATS on scanmaster started blinking "hot". I've got a 160 thermostat and TT chip set at 164/168 for the fans...what's going on?? Is it normal for the temps to go 40F past thermostat range?:confused:

If you have A/C in the car check the area between the condensor and the radiator. Common for this area to fill up with road debris. The 3rd Gen Firebirds pull cooling air off the pavement (you do have the air dam?). There is a gap at the top of the condensor. This allows all kinds of stuff to fill the space between it and the rad.

Happens over time so it isn't really noticed until the engine temperature can't be controlled.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Pulled the top cover off the radiator. There was a small amount of fuzz on the radiator so I hosed it off. Took it for a drive...no overheating so far...we'll see how it does on the drive home tonight.

With the radiator cleaned I'm seeing 183F max in stop/go traffic so far with 70's outside....is this normal, or should I be closer to mid 160's (160stat)?

Sure is, if the system isn't capable of running at the stat..
Ambient, plus 100* is not out of line.

Is your fan coming on? My car was running at 210 all day long because it turned out that the fan never came on.

Sounds like you need more cooling capacity like more airflow through the radiator, or a larger radiator. Check alternator output voltage at rear of alternator first with the engine at idle and with the A/C on. I like to see at least 13.7V or higher. Then check the voltage at the cooling fan plug. If there is a lot of resistance in the wiring you may need a "hot wire kit" for the fans. I think Caspers Electronics can make you one or you can do it yourself.

Actually, the TTA isn't really over heating at 218* or 200 degrees in stop and go traffic. It's definitely getting into the "butt pinching" territory though!:eek: I would start worrying about if it starts climbing above 220+ but definitely not over 230.

Cooling system is a total package...
H2o pumps can get impeller erosion over time and not pump as much water as should. just because the weep holes isnt leaking does not mean its operating OK

Radiators can get clogged, deposits,etc.

airducting to the heatexchanger needs to in place to concentrate the air to the core.

T stat needs to be opening fully

Cooling meduim antifreeze,h20, etc needs to be clean and of the proper PH.

1-2 or to of the following will hurt the other or all and cause higher temps.

i suggest you start with the basics...
make sure all the over flow tank is filled up to recommended level and the radiator is top off with water/coolant.
you said the fans turn on, but tha doesnt mean anything. .make sure the fans are actually working.. can you feel the air blow off of them when they blow?? also, termostat could be getting stuck.. just start with the simpy things, than move up the latter.. good luck.. but all in all, 200d isnt that bad really..

Back