too much oil pressure

I know the yellow one is the stock GN spring color and it is rated at 60 lbs...hence the 60 psi.
Not sure about the lower force springs since the 60 lb spring doesn't do much to the oil pressure when it is color and extra thick...I think waiting for the car to warm up with the best option.

If you got one of those orifice restrictors inline with your tube oil line, then that should be reducing your pressure anyway.

I would question if the lower force spring would provide enough pressure to the rest of the engine at the top of the RPM range when the engine is at a hot operating temperature? Something to think about.

I feel like I am going through the same issues at you and PTE suggested the turbo saver which I will be installing this weekend...hopefully that fixes the problem. I may enough up my thermostat to 180 so the darn oil thins out more at temp....or I guess I switch to 5w30 or 5w20 instead of 10w30.

I checked mine again last night

I checked mine when I got home last night and it was about 75 to 80lbs cold on my VDO electric gauge. When the car warmed up and it in drive at idle it was around 30lbs and under crusiing speed it stayed around 40 lbs. It would go to around 60lbs under boost. I was incorrect when I said it was 100 lbs cold. My gauge only reads 80 lbs.

well instead of putting in a restrictor i used a needle valve (im a plumber) so that i could adjust the restriction then upstream from the valve i tapped it with a tee and installed the autometer guage which maxes at 100psi. on cold start pressure at turbo is around 80psi once warm it settles down to like 5 psi idle and with throttle goes back to 75psi

5 lbs at idle is too low. I think the rule of thumb is 10lbs per 1000 rpms. I think our cards idle around 700 to 800 rpms.

In your build up, you posted that you have a high volume pump. Did you enlarge the oil passages, are the clearances opened up?

If you just install the high volume pump, that might be the reason of your high oil pressure. The high volume pump works in conjunction with larger clearances and oil passages. IMHO, the pump body is unable to bleed off the exess oil.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

the 5lbs is at the turbo only hot idle per engine is 40lbs
as for the cover i bought this car back in july and it already had this problem i dont know if the passages have been drilled out bigger they looked like they were about 1/2" so i figured it was done i dont know what stock diameter is supposed to be?? im going to change the spring tonight is orange the same as a red spring?? from a meling pump kit??

If I remember correctly,:confused: the 3 spring colors in the Melling pump for our cars are orange, blue and yellow. The PSI ratings are below.

Orange 40lbs.
Yellow 60lbs.
Blue 70lbs.

well i guess im getting color blind it looks red my wife says dark orange hmmm but in my kit i got a yellow, redorange ;) , and white.

ok well i feel like a moron turns out that red spring is orange and well max 60psi now :biggrin: thank you all for the help