Top 7 Reasons We Miss TheDrive-In

IEATV8S

It was on this day, 75 years ago, that Richard Hollingshead Jr. opened his first drive-in theater in Camden, New Jersey. At its peak, there were nearly 5,000 drive-in movie theaters across the country. In the post-WWII period, the drive-in represented both the emergence of the teenage leisure class and our country's strong identification with the automobile. Also, petting. Though there are a few drive-ins left, they represent a novelty more than a primary destination for cinematic appreciation. This saddens us, because the idea of a movie you can enjoy from the confines of your personal auto appeals to us in many, many ways. See below for the top seven reasons we miss the drive-in theater.

7. Personal Space
As much as we love movies, modern theaters have become solemn sanctuaries where anything above a whisper draws a swift rebuke from fellow movie-watchers. Making fun of the movies we watch is a not only a privilege, it's our right as Americans. At the drive-in you're welcome to hold court in your Imperial, discussing the qualities of Annette Funicello's bust without having to go all sotto voce. And if that uppity bitch in the Tempest doesn't like it, she can roll up her freaking windows.

6. It Was A Mini Car Show
Before there was the Wal-Mart parking lot, suburban kids could convene their nifty rides (or their father's nifty rides) and have a mini car show. It was a place to show off their cherry mag wheels, insane FM radio with "four speakers" and wood-grain dash. It's so much classier than doing FWD burnouts outside an Arby's.

5. Free Parking
The worst part of going to a the modern megaplex is the necessity of parking 6,000 minivans in a cramped parking garage they charge you $5 to use on top of the inflated ticket price. You have to get there early in order to avoid the long lines and then rush from the theater so it doesn't take you three hours to get out of the garage. The beauty of the drive-in is that it's already a parking lot. Pay for the movie and parking is free, or the other way around.

4. B Movies
Lacking a good method of home distribution, movies couldn't go straight to DVD in an attempt to make up the production costs. Instead, they went to the drive-in theater. That meant you could see films like Creature From The Black Lagoon and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers on the big screen, where they belong. Try finding any of the Leprechaun sequels at your local Cinemark.

3. Free Movies
If you try to sneak into movies these days, you're going to have to contend with security systems and worse, the indignity of being questioned by a squeaky-voiced teenager with a flashlight hoping to use your minor infraction as a way to exhaust his blend of sexual frustration and Accutane-fueled paranoia. In the good old times, you could just throw a couple of other kids in the spacious trunk of your dad's Galaxie 500 and get a half-priced ticket.

2. Intermission
The old concession stands were palaces of greasy confections, including not just popcorn and boxed-candy, but hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers, french fries and cotton candy. And there was an intermission so you could actually enjoy it, as opposed to missing the best part of the movie ("Dude, you missed some total side boob"). They no longer show videos of dancing chili dogs because, were you to leave the theatre, you wouldn't be able to get a chili dog, dancing or not.

1. Semi-Public Sex
There's something unsavory about kids doing god-knows what in a stadium-theater setting. If our experiences are any guide, teenage hanky-panky is sloppy, brief and elbowy. No one wants to see that. On the other hand, if you're a teenager, there's perhaps too much performance anxiety when cramped in next to an obese family of six. But put that family in a Country Squire, separated by a few feet and a thin pane of glass, and it's both exciting and socially permissible. This way Bobby Jenkers knew you were fogging up the windows with Becky, but didn't hear the embarrassing squeal when you discovered that it wasn't just tissue paper under her brassiere. Yoinks!

Damn when did they do away with drive in's? Must have been before my time in the 80's.

The one I went to as a kid in the 70's and in high school in the early 80's still operating and is about 10 miles from me. I was just refurbished a couple years ago. I need to take the kids one of these years. I think it's 1 of 5 or 6 left in Wisconsin.

David
87GN

They make all the sense in the world business-wise. Charge people to see a movie, make them bring their own seat. :eek:

Where I live now and the last 2 places (Poughkeepsie, NY and Front Royal, VA) had drive ins within 45 minutes of us. We went and still go all the time. My 2 boys and my wife love to go. Actually, we went Friday to see Kung Fu Panda and Indiana Jones! My 14 year old had his "first date" that night and it was very something else seeing them sit on the back of the van holding hands. You get 2 movies for the price of one, and you can reduce the cost by bringing your own popcorn and drinks. We still support by getting candy, but it helps make it more affordable.

I just hope they do not decide to get rid of it.

Mike

Damn when did they do away with drive in's? Must have been before my time in the 80's.

It is sad that you "kids" have missed so many of the great things we had and could do in the 50's and 60's like drive in's!:D

Computers and cell phones are OK, [a PIA sometimes:smile: ], but like drive-in's, the swimming hole. vacant lot for after-school ball games, exploring the woods behind us, the 5&10 cent store and other stuff are now only pleasant memories.:cool:

We are fortunate to still have 2 local drive-ins, one in Scottsdale w/6 screens, and one in Glendale with 9 screens.

Been a while, but I was just thinking about a visit to one especially with a coupon that offers "2 movies for $6.25 and and a FREE small candy when you buy a large popcorn", heck of a deal!:eek:

The problem then becomes do I want to see Hulk, Get Smart, Space Chimps, Kung Fu Panda, or ????????:biggrin:

I had Drive in's when I was younger.... they were gone shortly after me getting my license though(got my license in '90):frown:

I don't go to Theaters just because of the major PITA they are, the prices, waits, yappy or crying kids/infants there... totally ruins the movie.

I wait for them to be released on DVD for me to enjoy at home, in private.

If there were Drive in's around here, I would go out ALOT more... and especially with the modern car stereo systems... it can be even BETTER than a theater. (I'm deaf in my right ear, so Surround sound is meaningless to me:tongue: )lol

I'm with Nick.... Children today don't know what they're missing:frown:

I saw some great and not so great movies at drive-ins...Jaws, The Dead Zone, Friday the 13th Part 4, Dawn of the Dead, Close Encounters. Drive-ins are fun I went to one a couple of years ago. It was about a hour away from my house. I turned the seat backwards in my jeep had a cooler with a couple of beers in it and enjoyed a 75 degree evening. Ah the memories!

Ahhh Cherish the last ones while you can. We haven't had any here for a very long time. Gee I miss them.:(

It is sad that you "kids" have missed so many of the great things we had and could do in the 50's and 60's like drive in's!:D

Computers and cell phones are OK, [a PIA sometimes:smile: ], but like drive-in's, the swimming hole. vacant lot for after-school ball games, exploring the woods behind us, the 5&10 cent store and other stuff are now only pleasant memories.:cool:

We are fortunate to still have 2 local drive-ins, one in Scottsdale w/6 screens, and one in Glendale with 9 screens.

Been a while, but I was just thinking about a visit to one especially with a coupon that offers "2 movies for $6.25 and and a FREE small candy when you buy a large popcorn", heck of a deal!:eek:

The problem then becomes do I want to see Hulk, Get Smart, Space Chimps, Kung Fu Panda, or ????????:biggrin:

Yeah tell me about it. I listened to the song "Different Life" by Buckey Covongham (sp?) and could relate to a few things in the song....drinking from a water hose, the 3 channels on the knob style TV, no internet or cell phones but friends were outside, etc. But I see they now try and bring back the wanna-be classic car hop eateries, aka Sonic.

ahhh

We go to the drive in about once a month. It's 90 miles away but it is the longest running drive in in GA and has 2 screens and double features on the weekend also. The wife & kids think it's cool:cool:

We go to the drive in about once a month. It's 90 miles away but it is the longest running drive in in GA and has 2 screens and double features on the weekend also. The wife & kids think it's cool:cool:

Is it Jesup, GA that you go to? That is where we go to. We are looking to take my Suncoupe out there sometime in the near future, possibly get several other local people in our town with classic cars to go out all together and possible have a cook out before. The people that run that place do a wonderful job. It is very clean and respectful.

Maybe we will see you out there sometime.

Mike

Is it Jesup, GA that you go to? That is where we go to. We are looking to take my Suncoupe out there sometime in the near future, possibly get several other local people in our town with classic cars to go out all together and possible have a cook out before. The people that run that place do a wonderful job. It is very clean and respectful.

Maybe we will see you out there sometime.

Mike

That would be Jesup! It looks like there is a cruise in sometimes at Hardees there too........

There's one in West Chicago, Cascade Drive-Inn, that the Chicagoland chapter goes to once every summer. This year it's June 28. We meet down the road around 5 at Augustino's and grab a bite to eat together, then head over at 7, all in a line, when the place opens. The owner encourages car clubs to park together in the front row, so we leave 2 places empty in the middle of our row. Everyone brings chairs, and we sit together to watch the two movies. This place also has an intermission, along with the dancing hot dog!
If the weather permits, pretty much everyone in the place brings chairs now and sit outside. They also bring the family dog, which I don't remember from when I was a kid. This place also has first run movies.
We've had it rain on us (went to a sports bar instead) and get really cold, on a couple of occasions. So you sit in the car - no biggie. But we really have a lot of fun when the weather is right.

Lets all go to the lobby.....Lets all go to the lobby....Lets all go to the lobby

I remember the jingle

My best memory of Drive Ins was back in the mid 70's when all 9 of us piled in dads Country Squire wagon and went to Mansfield Drive in to see a 'double feature'. The two movies?? Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry!! I'll never forget that night and I guess that pretty much started it all for me, well that and two older brothers who always had muscle cars.....:D

Ken B.

omaha is the closest for me. Looks like if I ever wanna go gonna have to make a day out of it.