You can type here any text you want

Top End Rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JKGeorge1116

I just blew a head gasket on my car and was thinking about doing a few additional things as preventative maintainance for the future. Has anyone used the RJC "Bulletproof" head gasket kit? It goes for 139 and was just wondering if it was a good deal? Also was wondering where to buy a good set of springs and valves for the heads? Providing the bottom end is ok, it was rebuilt by the previous owner less than 60k ago, im gonna leave the bottom end alone, for now:) is there anything else I can do that won't break the bank? I was going to get a RJC power plate as well. Another thing I was hoping to get cleared up was the wiring. The previous owner did a lot of his own wiring and there are several wires that are cut in sometimes 4 different areas and combine for 4 completly different colors on the same line. This makes finding stuff a pain. Is there anywhere I can get a complete wiring harness or something?

Sounds like you are quit aways from needing those type of gaskets (bullet proof gastets on a non pullet proof bottem end) which you you rather replace?:wink: If your car in faily stock which it sounds like it is, stay with a GM stock gasket for trouble/leak free service. Power Plate is a good choice, comp 979's or 980 springs for flat tappet cam. But in my opinion if it has 60k on it with a blown hg I'd pull it for a freshen up. bearings, rings, etc

What cause the hg to blow in the 1st place? octane, lean, high boost, high timing, poor tune, no scan tool?

Well im not 100 percent sure what the cause was. I just blew the hg last night. I was running 93 octane fuel. Was running 20 pounds of boost with alky, my scanmaster actually went out on me, think the wires were loose so was just off. as far as the tune goes, it was running 18 pounds with no knock earlier. I just recently bought the car so haven't done much myself. And timing I haven't touched either but not sure what its set at. How can you check and what should it be set at?

Oh I got a fuel pump from cotton performance which is supposedly able to support up to 600hp. I think its a walboro replacement. However, I haven't had a chance to put on the hotwire kit yet

RJC head gaskets

I love these head gaskets. I've used them on three different motors and they haven't blown yet. I also use ARP head studs. The RJC head gasket seals easy too. A++++:biggrin:

GM or Victor head gaskets. Head gaskets dont kill themselves but Detonation does & I would rather blow a gasket than drive over a crank myself.
I have run 26-28 lbs on Victors no problem.

Back