You can type here any text you want

Torque Converter Clutch Lockup Problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AKTURBOTA

I had the 200-4R transmission rebuilt (local Anchorage, Ak trans shop) in my TTA last year and am using a PTS Extreme torque converter (Stalls at 3400). I have an intermittant problem with the torque converter clutch locking up as soon as it shifts into 2nd gear. If I tap the brake pedal the clutch releases. Additionally, at light part throttle acceleration the clutch engages and disengages spastically. This was not a problem before the rebuild and whenever I took the car back to the transmission shop the torque converter locked up normally. They replaced the torque converter clutch soleniod and I put the car into storage shortly afterward without the problem reoccuring. I broke the car out of storage in April and within a week of driving the torque converter clutch was locking up going into second gear and acting spastically at part throttle acceleration.

When I race the car at the drag strip, I have a switch that I turn on that causes the torque converter to lockup shifting into second gear. The car now behaves as if I have that switch turn on all of the time. What could be causing this? It is very annoying that it is happening in the first place and more troubling in that it is an intermittant "gremlin."

I've have this same post in the "Transmission" area, but was wondering if anyone with a TTA has experienced this sort of TCC problem? Or better yet has a solution.

It all points to the TCC lockup solenoid. Most are using the 700 solenoids now that require spacers to be used. Maybe they didnt replace it? or put a faulty one in. One thing for sure..if it locks up in second..its the solenoid. In third or fourth.. its the ecm.

Pretty simple device.. yet can give issues.

If it unlocks with the brake pedal, it's electrical.

The brake pedal switch FEEDS power to the solenoid, the ECM provides the ground. Look for a grounded wire in that circuit, bad ECM, etc.......

You have access to the factory manual... right?

Bob

Back