You can type here any text you want

Torque spec and sequence for M&A 14 bolt heads?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trick86

Solid Member
Just collecting everything for headgasket replacement on a Stage 1 -4.1 with aluminum M&A heads, here's my list of required stuff so far:

-fel-pro 1026's
-ARP head bolts
-RVT sealant

Couple of questions, should I skim sealant around coolant holes at headgasket? torque spec and sequence(pic)?

The car seems to be lossing coolant, some leaking out rear of head passenger side, plugs are too clean(all except one), slight misfire on cold overnight startup untill the sweet smell in exhaust is burned off, wonky O2 numbers especially with engine under decel or vaccum, no coolant in oil....yet.

If anyone has any tips please do pass them on, thanks. Byron

Byron,

You didn't say whether or not your block is modified for 14 bolt heads. I assume it is if you're running M&A's. No need for sealant around the coolant passages with 1026 gaskets, they are fine dry. If you have mystery coolant leaks currently you should have the heads checked when they are off. M&A heads are known for porosity problems. As far as torque specs go I'd suggest 80-85 ft lbs. I've always used the torque sequence in the Buick power source manual myself. If you don't have a copy I can probably scan it for you.

Neal

Byron,

You didn't say whether or not your block is modified for 14 bolt heads. I assume it is if you're running M&A's. No need for sealant around the coolant passages with 1026 gaskets, they are fine dry. If you have mystery coolant leaks currently you should have the heads checked when they are off. M&A heads are known for porosity problems. As far as torque specs go I'd suggest 80-85 ft lbs. I've always used the torque sequence in the Buick power source manual myself. If you don't have a copy I can probably scan it for you.

Neal

Thanks Neal, Yes the motor is set up for 14 bolt heads, I had a look at my " Power Source Book" and couldn't find the info for sequence, mine could be different than yours is, ya I've heard about the problems with M&A's also.....I'm stuck with these for now unfortenetly$$$. Finger crossed its just headgaskets as this engine hasen't been apart since the mid 90's.

Byron,

The TA torque sequence is similar to the one in the Power source book. That one is at the top of page 61. Either should work fine but since the TA head is a revision of the of the original M&A design their sequence might be preferable.

Neal

Bryon,

The TA torque sequence is similar to the one in the Power source book. That one is at the top of page 61. Either should work fine but since the TA head is a revision of the of the original M&A design their sequence might be preferable.

Neal

Page 61, found it, thanks. This will be the sequence I'll be using for sure.

Thanks Neal

Back