You can type here any text you want

torque specs on heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
As you can see by the many responses, this simple question is like a secret. I've asked before and didn't get much feedback. I torqued my heads to 80 lbs with ARP bolts and some folks torque higher. Most of us don't run 14 lbs of boost anymore. I don't like the 60 and I don't think many others do either even though "it's a secret". I've had no problems with the higher number.

i see, the heads and bolts are bone stock, i also run the stell shim head gasket to if this helps. I just want to find out before i put the valve covers back on again.

thanks

Well I'm no expert but I torqued mine down in 10# increments, loosening a 1/4 turn 3 more times in the next two days and retightening them (the car was not started no tranny at the time) to 85#s. I was using stock irons felpro 9441s, and ARP bolts. So far mine has held with out a problem. Good luck man

are you planning on running "high" boost (lets say over 20 lbs)?

if so, ARP bolts or studs and 85 ft lbs would be appropriate

I dunno about stock bolts and steel shims.......I do know that if you run high boost at 60 ft lbs, those gaskets will leak.......

(as I said, I don't know how the stock TTY will hold up at 85.....)

I hope you re using new bolts, cause the stock TTY bolts are not supposed to be used over again-they re probably stretched.

Back