tr values? im confused

jamesgs4

ok so i havent bought a tr yet but im wondering. why are the kelly blue book values so far off the prices on tr's ive seen around here? are t-types really pulling 10k+? i would love a gn but i dont have a garage, so i was looking for a t-type to debadge and park on the street in front of my house. kbb has t-types in good to exc condition for 4-5k tops. what gives?:confused:

Several thoughts rattled through my mind when I read this:

1) don't park a turbo Buick on the street unless you don't mind it being stolen

2) Publicity. Most people I know think any TR is a GN and have no idea what a T-type or turbo T is.

3) non-Buick car collectors are going to want a GN because they were "special" and I think that can drive the prices up.

It really doesn't matter which one you go with unless you want to be able to say "why yes....that is a Grand National...."

so why are so many t-types so expensive? i know that a gn is going to command a premium, but a 10-15k t-type thats been modded and possibly abused?

Its all whats in the car man! I have a 86 T-type and 4-5 grand wouldn't get you anywhere near the car period! They made a lot less of the Ts in 86 than they did GNs to start with so the price is starting to go up on them anyway. Build one of these motors and you will find out in a flat hurry why one thats modded will run up the price. With everything under my hood not counting the tranny there is almost 10,000 worth there with parts and machine work. Yeah you can still find good deals out there on them so don't get me wrong but one thats been worked you got to expect to pay more for it unless its stolen or they have gotten themselves in a bind finacially.

Turbo Ts and T Types usually sell for a couple $k less than a GN w/ similar miles and condition, but KBB is way off on T prices.
A Ttype that sells for $4-5k would be in pretty rough shape,then would take quite a bit of $$ to make it run good and/or look good.

T's, T-types, Turbo T's, etc.. should be the pricey ones, but alas, it doesn't work like that. :(

GN's, seen one, seen em all. :tongue:

J/K

Kelly Blue Book (KBB) is in business to make money, and do it through documenting & reporting vehicle values and trends in vehicle values. Their primary objective is to sell the KBB and it's reports & assessments. They do not actually purchase or sell vehicles as a general rule, so their reported values are taken from what other people report, and the successful sales and / or transactions that they observe. As far as modified turbo Buick values, the trend of bone stock non-modified cars bringing the most money is giving way to a newer trend of modified turbo Buicks bringing the same or more money with everything else being equal on pristine low mileage, properly modified TB's. By proper, I mean what is socially acceptable by the average modified turbo Buick enthusiast. A good example of this changing trend would be the value of a bone stock non-modified Model A compared to a modified, socially acceptable Model A variation. As a general rule, I would have to say that $4K-$5K would bring you a high mileage, t-topped, hot-air turbo Buick that you would normally not be proud to bring home, let alone drive around in. HTH. No offense meant, but it sounds like you might want to re-evaluate what your wants and / or requirements really are in the way of a turbo Buick.

so why are so many t-types so expensive? i know that a gn is going to command a premium, but a 10-15k t-type thats been modded and possibly abused?

In another 10 years, GN's will be $40K+ for a nice one.

I bought my T-type for $5K, 10 years ago. It would be $10K today and $20K 10 years from now.

If you are looking for a cheap T-R, that window is rapidly closing.

This is coming from a guy who sold a 27K mile, 440-6 cuda for $36K and a rust free, perfect body '70 440-4 'Cuda for $10K, 4 years ago. Check E-bay for their current values.

About the same amount of T-R's were built as '70 'barracuda's (Including 318 and slant 6 cars). You do the math.

Below is the stats on my daily driver silver turbo regal limited with 100,000 miles.

Last spring KBB said it was worth 13,800 with the turbo option.

For some reason, when you click regal limited and the turbo 3.8 option, it really doesnt reflect the real value of the car.

Take the below numbers and multiply by 2.5 and that will give you a fair amount of what they are worth.

If i were to sell my silver car, i think its worth around 9500.
I paid 7500 for it 8 years ago and have done plenty to it.
Of course i would turn it back to mostly stock before i sold it :smile:

More Photos Condition Value

Excellent
$4,175

Good
$3,890

Fair
$3,445

Search Local Listings
Sell Your Coupe
Vehicle Highlights
Mileage: 100,000
Engine: V6 3.8 Liter Turbo
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: RWD

Selected Equipment Change Equipment
Standard
Air Conditioning Power Steering AM/FM Stereo

Optional
T Pkg Tilt Wheel Premium Wheels
Power Windows Cruise Control
Power Door Locks Single Compact Disc

Blue Book Private Party Value
Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.
Vehicle Condition Ratings Check Vehicle Title History Excellent
$4,175

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.
Good
$3,890

"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.
Fair
$3,445

"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.
Poor
N/A

"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its value. Kelley Blue Book does not attempt to report a value on a "poor" vehicle because the value of cars in this category varies greatly.

Oh yeah, and according to KBB.com there is only 2-3 thousand dollars difference between a 10,000 mile and a 100,000 mile "good" condition grand national.

And a excellent 10,000 mile GN is listed at 24,250
a excellent 100,000 mile GN is listed at 21,000

3250.00 difference:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

What a joke if you ask me. Sign me up for all those 4100.00 excellent condition turbo regal limiteds:eek:

KBB.COM has its head up its arse on the value of our cars, there is no way there could only be 3250.00 difference in their skewed views of what our cars are worth.

BW

thanks for all the input guys! so i guess kbb is waaaay off on these cars, they list t-types low and gn's high. but i know for sure ill have to get whichever car i buy appraised, so i dont get screwed on the value if anything happens to it.

If you find a car, just post here or pm and we would be glad to help you find, the right one.

BW

Three things I know:

1. Some "books" are commissioned by dealers, for dealers. I know it's hard to imagine dealers collaborating in the preparation of a "reference" that low balls trades to beat the average joe out of his hard earned money, but suspend belief for a moment, if you will...
2. A set of 4 NOS N89 center caps goes for about $600.
3. Any T you're likely to buy for $5K is probably a POS.

strike

Three things I know:

1. Some "books" are commissioned by dealers, for dealers. I know it's hard to imagine dealers collaborating in the preparation of a "reference" that low balls trades to beat the average joe out of his money, but suspend belief for a moment, if you will...
3. Any T you're likely to buy for $5K is a POS.

strike

I just want to make some good conversation about your #1. So what your saying, is that theres a black market on our cars that they dont want anyone else to know about, so they can buy the cars "cheap"

Around here, these cars are far and few to be found in the paper that are worth my last red cent.

Just leading into what you were sayin;)

Personally, our turbobuick community is so small, that there isnt really too many people beating down the internet door to buy our cars right now.

Everyone waiting standby in the cars for sale section like a vulture like me is a tight ass waiting for the next "deal" to pop up if you know what i mean.

BW

Hey, Bryan,

I agree with previous posters that it's harder for KBB and the like to get a fix on the value of a relatively low volume, 20 year old, collector car than your garden variety Camry.

KBB is known to be of the dealer, by the dealer, for the dealer. There are other books that present even lower values, I'm sure. An educated consumer has to be a little skeptical about these "books".

strike

Ive always appreciated your posts and information here.

So what can we do to set the market straight on the values of our cars?

I know they sell for more on ebay and everyone is looking for the right deal.

Where can the medium be found for a average person looking for a 86-87 turbo regal?

Last week, a neighbor asked me if i still had that same 86 t-type for sale for 6,000.00 . He wants one now. 5 years later:eek:

The value of our cars keep going up and i want the values to be right GN or t-type or T, we4 and limited.

BW

Three things I know:

strike

2# I'm personaly working on a cheap replacement part as we type ;)

3# I totaly agree with you. That 5k will get you a Regal thats probaly needs a new motor or gear box. It's great for a DIY selfer but keep in mind a good gear box will run 1500-3500.00 bux and a motor can run that or double. So either way you go, you're looking at around 8-10k on a decent running car. The best thing to do is to watch the for sale ads here on the site. These people are great about giving info about their cars for sale. Also, you got a good chance other people know the same car and can testify to it's shape.

PS, If you live in a state that charges you tax based on the book value...pray they don't use the KBB or NADA book ;)

Three things I know:
1. Some "books" are commissioned by dealers, for dealers. I know it's hard to imagine dealers collaborating in the preparation of a "reference" that low balls trades to beat the average joe out of his hard earned money, but suspend belief for a moment, if you will...
strike
----------------------------------
..........................2. A set of 4 NOS N89 center caps goes for about $600....................
----------------------------------
I would like to add...........that there are such a few quantity of those caps for sale in NOS condition that it is somewhat difficuly to establish an average selling price. I Just purchased a BNIB set of 4 for $ 300, and although I consider that a little better than average now, it was probably average at the time of the sale, (about a month ago). I did see the "buy it now" price on that e-bay set of $600, My guess would be that they did not go for $ 600, but closer to $300 if they sold. Anybody know.
-----------------------------------
SVORay: You're truly a gentleman & a scholar to undertake such a task. Hope all goes well for you on that. If you do well on this venture, there are probably other things that some people would pay better than a fair price for: I need a NOS console extension like Kirban used to make, in Garnet, I believe is the color.
Sorry to get away from the main theme of this thread, got carried away.

Ditto. If you can pull it off SVORay, you'd be doing a big service to the TR community. It sickens me that 4 plastic caps potentially cost more than the beautiful, N89, cast aluminum wheels they come on. A pox on whoever hoarded the remaining NOS - I hope SVORay puts you out of business. I was sorting through some old brochures yesterday. Not so long ago, T-R Parts Connection (RIP, Don) sold these caps for $34...

strike