Trailing arms - hotchkis, f-body, or boxed?

GeneralB44

www.pinkhumpy.com
Since putting on an ATR swaybar, I think the lower trailing arms might be taking a beating.

Does anybody know if the stock f-body trailing arms are any good? (I saw that the Hotchkis 1301 supposedly fit both G-body's and 82-2000 f-body's). I could probably get 'em cheap from a junkyard?

What do you guys recommend? Boxed, hotchkis, f-body jauns?

Also - do the uppers really make a difference? Is it worth the extra $$$ to do those too, or is just doing the lowers enough? I have a high mileage car (150,000) :)

Thanks!

The Hotchkiss arms are real nice pieces but pricey. I like them though and did all 4 on my GN. They are a bit heavy though. If you can afford it go for it.

By the time you have your stock arms boxed and replace the bushings, you'll be more than halfway to what it would cost to replace with hi-po new. You don't have to go with hotchkiss. H&R parts lower arms are more reasonable. Also, Poston sells some nice billet aluminum pieces. Just do the lowers first and then if you feel you want to go for the uppers, do it. They don't sell them any cheaper if you do it all at once.

SLP sells new 1LE lower control arms for $79. You get new arms with all four 1LE bushings installed. Add the cost of getting them boxed and it is still pretty cost effective. Stiffer than stock and softer than polly.

I have hotchkis lowers and it is like night and day over the stock arms..

I have also run SSM bars for lowers. I liked them alot as well. They changed the instant center on the car and really helped in "leaving"..

HTH..

Check with METCO. The control arms are billet aluminum and fully bushed in polyurethane. I have 'em on all my cars and am extremely pleased. They will make a tremendous difference in the feel of your car, especially with the mileage you've accumulated.

F & G arms

The F and G body arms are not the same.. The G body has the sway bar bolted to it and the F body does not. Neither stock bar, if not at least boxed, will hold up well to the ATR bar and it's hi spring rate.
I make both arms for RAMDOM Tech and they are the same length and size, but the F does not have the sway bar thru tubes in it.
Hotchkiss may just make 1 set to cover both applications.

As for the uppers, they should be adjustable, so you can set the correct pinion angle. The OEM bushings also need to be replaced w/ poly..

The OEM rear lower control arms for the G and F bodies sure look the same to me. I have them both here in the garage. Bolt holes down the sides of both styles. When I box the arms they will get tubing spacers inside the bolt holes. And I am still going to use the stock bar with the Lauren Engineering braces to stiffen it up.

I have the Hotchkis lowers on mine and like 'em just fine. HR Parts's pieces look really nice as well. I will be buying their double adjustable uppers once enough pennies are saved. A few of our guys also run the Metco lowers and again, they're really pleased. I am unfamiliar with Cody Motorsports trailing arms but if they're like his other products, I'd bet they're great too. Your ATR bar will crush your stock, unboxed lowers in short order if you do any hard launches or uneven corners aggressively.
HTH
Jim