You can type here any text you want

tranny fit

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

i dont know alot about trannys but i need to know if a manual 5 speed out of a "i think 2800 mazda truck" would fit in an 83 buick regal limited. and if i would be able to install a hydrolic clutch pedal in the car with out toooo much trouble. the car has no turbo setup in it also i think the prevous owner blew it and the origional trans out of it somhow. i am doing a total revamp of the "underhood" with very limited funds and trying like crazy to get the car on the road. ms8472@gmail.com feel free to email me if i aint on for awhile i am not using my regular computer to right this and im a new member to the site.

Short answer

Short answer is NO. You said: "without toooo much trouble, with very limited funds". Even if the Mazda tranny was free, you'd spend a lot of $$$ and time making it work. Slap a used GM tranny in it and be done.

i can get the tranny east probabily this weekend if everything goes better than planned. the thing is free anyway and i have tools and i can probabily get all the stuff i would need if u would mind listing potential problems i would have and what would have to be done. and i pull engines all the time anyway so that aint a problem. and also im completely decomputerzing the car anyway and i really want the tranny in the car that and the tranny in it is incorrectially geared and the thing leaks like #&$%^#$ crazy anyway "drive shaft seal and pan". i have parts and stuff available to me to do it also.
if u want to talk on a messanger let me know! im on alot of them if not all of the main ones anyway.

Longer answer- problems/parts

flywheel and bolts to fit Buick engine
pressure plate for Buick flywheel
Buick diameter clutch disc with Mazda splines (Thickness OK?)
bell housing adapter to allow Mazda trans to mate to Buick block
clutch pedal and linkage
custom driveshaft- must be the correct length with Buick U-joint on the back, and Mazda joint and yoke on the front.
custom crossmember and transmission mount will very likely be required.
Buick speedometer cable probably wrong length or threads

I think that's it, but I may have missed something.

I agree with A. G. My brother changed his '69 Cutlass from an automatic to a manual some years ago, and it was a nightmare EVEN with parts still being available from the Dealer!

IMHO go for a beefed 200-4R. We have the best in the business on this board. The results of users from good builders speak for themselves.

I thought of a couple more custom bits you get to source:

Throwout bearing sleeve/collar (of the proper length) to fit the tranny and hold a bearing that mates with the Buick pressure plate.

Pilot bushing with an OD for the Buick crankshaft and an ID for the tranny input shaft.

Then there is also the question of input shaft length.

Personally, I wouldn't take it on for love nor money, but if you can't resist the challenge (kind of like beating one's head against a wall? :confused: ), good luck... and you are certainly welcome.

Happy T-day. :cool:

Back