You can type here any text you want

Tranny Lingo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87chrisss

BLUBYU
I have been reading some threads and i think i was taught/told some incorrect information before i make myslef look like an ass, i rather start this thread to gain some lingo Tranny knowledge.

First thing on my list is, the converter couples great on top. Can someone please give me a correct terminology on how the converter couples, i thought it was how it pulled instead of stalling, probably wrong but thats what i was told.
Finally the Converter flash is???? When the converter flashed means once it reaches the stall rpm and post that is when the converter flashed, sorry if im wrong but this is what i was told at some point or another? Please help me understand a converter. I do know when the converter locks is when the solenoid in trans opens and fills the converter with oil.

Couples is the term used to describe how close to 1:1 the engine speed and trans input shaft get. Coupled in 3rd gear would be 1:1. Usually referred to in % of slip or displayed as engine speed vs. driveshaft speed on cars with a DS speed sensor. Flash stall is the stall speed under full power and the lowest rpm that will be visible when under full power. It's very possible to have a high flash stall and a good coupling ability.

. I do know when the converter locks is when the solenoid in trans opens and fills the converter with oil.
Not really. The converter locks when the solenoid closes forcing the lock/unlock shuttle valve into the lock position. This reverses the oil flow in the converter forcing the clutch disk in the converter up against the face of the converter which locks it.

Back