tranny troubles??

1stTurboGN

Well, had some problems and im pretty sure its the tranny, but a second opinion cant hurt... I was driving my 87 gn today (not hot rodding, just normal driving) and i hit the gas to go from a light, and the motor revved up for a second before the car moved. it felt like the car was in neutral and then after i hit the gas it dropped into gear. it did it again the next time i tried to leave from a dead stop. i pulled into a parking spot and got some lunch, and on the way out, in reverse, this noise started. It sounded like my exhaust was dragging up against my drive shaft, but that wasnt it. While trying to figure it out i went in reverse, rolled back about 6 inches, and the car just stopped like i had slammed on the brakes....like something in the drivetrain just completely bound up. i putted it home, this noise continued the entire time, but all of the sudden completely stopped when i hit about 30 mph. i could have sworn the noise came from the rear end, so i pulled it all apart, inspected all the bearings, gear mesh and so on, everything was perfect. I go to spin the drive shaft to put it back on the rear end (car in neutral) and it will spin fowards, but not back the other way. so im assuming the noise came from the tranny to start with and it was just traveling through the driveshaft and sounded like it was in the rear end.....so basically i wasted a whole bunch of time with the rear end. then with the back end of the car in the air i started it up and the wheels still spun while in neutral, not to mention the noise in drive and reverse. Im real frustrated....this is a daily driver....i need it. so if anyone has any ideas...comments....suggestions, or lives in the new port richey tampa area and are good with trannys and wants to help out a youngster lemme know id really appreciate it!!! thanks for anything youve got.

its screwed

pulled the pan.....a bunch of small metal shavings, chunks, and roller bearing peices no bigger than the tip of a pencil. tranny is on the floor of the garage. i guess im on my own on this one.

well what happened was the smart person who rebuilt the tranny just before i bought the car thought they new what they were doing. That leftover snap ring that was left over in the bottom of the rebuild kit really did do something..... pretty much everytime i hit the gas the shaft in the back of the tranny was slamming back and when i let off it slammed foward and bearings can only handle so much of that before they break. so to make a long aggrivating story short a bearing broke and got into everything and tore a bunch of parts up. But its over and done with and im glad to say shes back on the road :)