Trans+ code 42 related questions

Sleeper

I’m having a bit of a problem and I’m wondering if it is Trans+ related.
Yesterday while I was merging onto the hwy, the car backfired and threw a code 42. I pulled over and found that the up pipe had been blown off. I tightened it back down and cleared the ECM but within a few seconds the code came back again.
Today I went through the usual checks and found no shorts or broken wires from the Ignition module to ECM, and went over all the Trans+ connections.
Just before I began all the Tan and white wire voltage tests, I decided to disconnected the EST signal to the Trans and put in the pigtail… The code went away, plug it back into the Trans and it throws the code.
Anybody ever have a similar experience? Is it possible that something has gone wrong with the unit?
I am running jumpered right now and in open loop idle, but almost all the BLM cells run down around 100.
Also, could the backfire have killed the MAF, (LT1 mounted in the up pipe) and is there any way I can check it with a DVM?

Paul :(
1972 Toyota Celica with an 87 GN Engine.
Motor 30 over, 10/10 crank, high vol.oil pump, SpeedPro 194/204 Cam, Comp Cam 980 valve springs
PTE 44 turbo, 0.65 Ex housing, Dutweiller Big neck intercooler, Jay Jackson's 62 mm Throttle body, ported and polished plenum with upper part of EGR tower removed, Power Plate, solid MAF pipe, K&N Filter.
Postons drivers and passenger side headers and 2 pce crossover pipe. Hand made TH style DP, 3" exhaust split to 2 ½ " dual Magnaflows.
52 # Siemens low imp. injectors, Red A's modded ECM, Translator Plus, LT1 MAF (Mounted in the up-pipe) Extender chip, Boost Commander, dual wastegate solenoids, Adj. Fuel Reg, Hot wired Walbro GSS 340 intank fuel pump, Poly Mount.
ATR billet OD H20 pump pulley, 2 x 10" Flexalite electric fans, RMI 25.
Type II coil pack and module, 8.5 Magnecor's, AC CR42's.
DirectScan, Caspers Knock gauge, Autometer 30/30 boost/vacuum gauge, Autometer tranny temp gauge.
200 4R tranny, B&M 28,000GVW SuperCooler, remote filter, stock D5 converter, B&M Megashifter, Chopped Ford 9" @3:25 Trac Lok rear with a 300 ZX disk brake setup. Air bags, 85 Supra 57 mm piston 10" vented rotor front brake setup, Nissan 300 ZX 15/16 master cylinder, Dunlop SP 5000 205/50ZR 15's, Hurst Roll control, Ford power steering rack, Bilstein Rally shocks rear, Tokico race struts front, heavy duty coils.

Sleeper, I just went through this myself. It turns out that water got into my translator. It had apparently been there awhile as alot of the PCB board was corroded. Mine started with a 34. Now my ECM sometimes throws a 42 ESC Control Module and pos farts and acts stupid. I would suggest just looking inside to see if there is any water or corrosion.

Thanks machinegun,
but the Trans+ is mounted inside the car. Dry as a bone. I checked all the ECM and module connections as well.

Paul

Well, you got me. I would check all the connections on the ECM itself as well as all your grounds just to make sure there is nothing there. I would also remove the eprom and reseat it while you have the ecm out for cleaning. What scan tool are you using?

Done all of the above. I run DirectScan. It codes the same connected or disconnected. :(

Paul

Direct scan has done some weird things to me in the past but disconnected. If it were me I would install the stck maf if you have one and drive it a bit with the trans removed. I have never heard of a LT1 maf going bad although it is possible. I though I had one but turns out the trans was full of water. Do not know if any of this helps but worth a try in my book.

I have had the Trans and LT1 maf for a while and all was well so I sold my old Maf :mad:
I'm going to see if a buddy will lend me his LTI to try.

Paul

On other kinds of cars where the MAF is noramlly mounted close to the engine, a backfire can kill the MAF......

Not sure what's up with the Trans, but it does sound like it's funky.

Bob

Trans +

TurboBob,

Will the "tap" test work on the LS1 MAF? If not, is there a way for the shade tree mechanic to test them?

Thanks,
HellOnWheels

I've never found the tap test to work.

I've seen very few fail.

The last one I troubleshot, I just wound up changing it.

Bob

Everytime that I got a code 42, it was my Directscan connection to the ECM. I suggest unplugging it, and cleaning the inside of the cable as well as the contacts.

-DC:cool: