Trans slipping or is it the conv?

MSDGN

Was driving home from the track last Friday(made 3 runs)...and the trans started slipping...cruising was OK but when taking off at a light the RPM's would hit 3000 before the car started moving then it was very sluggish after that if I gave it throttle...on level ground if I take my foot off the brake idling at 1000 RPM's the car doesn't move at all...and it used to...I do have a PTC conv and it's pretty loose but the car has never acted like this...so something is wrong...does this sound like the trans or could it be the conv?...I have another conv to swap in and see if the problem still exists but before I do that is there anything else I can do to determine whether it trans or conv?...also I did check the TV cable...didn't re-adjust it but it looked like it was in the same spot(number of ridges showing are same as always)...

If the fluid level is right, it's hard to tell which one may be the issue other than swapping to another converter to see what happens.

Fluid level and color are fine...also on the way home from the track I was keeping an eye on the trans temp...never got over 150 degrees...

Shifts are fine...I just feel it when I take off from a dead stop...the RPM's go up to around 3000 but it just doesn't move...then it starts to move very slow...once I get going if I give it throttle it doesn't respond very much...when I would give it throttle before this it would respond fast and the front end would go up...

Could be...I will check the conv when I get it out...I hope it's just the conv...I also plan on removing the pan to see if there is excess friction material in there...

Was driving home from the track last Friday(made 3 runs)...and the trans started slipping...cruising was OK but when taking off at a light the RPM's would hit 3000 before the car started moving then it was very sluggish after that if I gave it throttle...on level ground if I take my foot off the brake idling at 1000 RPM's the car doesn't move at all...and it used to...I do have a PTC conv and it's pretty loose but the car has never acted like this...so something is wrong...does this sound like the trans or could it be the conv?...I have another conv to swap in and see if the problem still exists but before I do that is there anything else I can do to determine whether it trans or conv?...also I did check the TV cable...didn't re-adjust it but it looked like it was in the same spot(number of ridges showing are same as always)...

I hope you get it figured out because I am having the same problem! Need to push it down about half throttle and then it slowly starts to move. I haven't left my driveway since I bought it, towed it home and got it running. I am gonna pull it out soon and am prepared to rebuild it if it isn't the convertor.

I will check the convertor first when I get the trans pulled out this week. We have another big snow storm coming tonite...maybe 6-12 inches of the white stuff! :eek:

trans help!

I can't believe it has been almost 3 months since I wanted to take out the trans and check it out....darn cold and snow up here in MN never quits! Anyway, I got the trans out finally last night and here is what I found...It has a torque convertor in it that was remanufactured for GM(sticker said) and when I stick my fingers inside it to move the splined teeth they are not moving and they should because I have another convertor out of my basket case that I can move the splines easily one way(clock wise) but it is harder to turn them CCW. Also, I noticed that there is a ring/thick washer inside the snout that is half broken off...where the other half is who knows!

I am wondering, do I just put in another convertor or open up the trans also, or put in a turbo 350 that I know is good? BTW, the trans acted like this...it felt like it wanted to move if I gave it a lot of gas, didn't dare drive it though, and before starting it, I checked the fluid level, it ws overfull, but when I started it , the level did not go down like it should have, which would tell me that the pump wasn't working.....Would the bad convertor make it not pump fluid? I wouldn't think so because the tangs on the TC drive the pump gears.

I know a little about transmissions, rebuilt my first one in 1978 and many since them, only did 2 of the 200-4R, and the second one(back in 1995) only lasted 4 days, took that one apart and a steel piece that I think took up the space in one of the clutch packs looked like a "pretzel" all twisted up!

Any ideas please? thanks!

Pretzel...

I'd bet that pretzel piece is the ring that snaps into the piston in the forward drum, excessive clearance and/or fluid pressure can push the piston out of it's bore, the rotating clutch pack creates the "pretzel". Did the trans act like pushing the pedal in on a standard trans? If so, most other parts are undamaged, you just needed to replace the piston in the forward drum. Just my one and a half cent! Did you ever find out what the pretzel piece was?:cool:

I'd bet that pretzel piece is the ring that snaps into the piston in the forward drum, excessive clearance and/or fluid pressure can push the piston out of it's bore, the rotating clutch pack creates the "pretzel". Did the trans act like pushing the pedal in on a standard trans? If so, most other parts are undamaged, you just needed to replace the piston in the forward drum. Just my one and a half cent! Did you ever find out what the pretzel piece was?:cool:

Hello, sorry for the late response, I have not been getting any subscriptions notices so I don't know when someone replices to a post! Anyway, the bent up piece was, if I remember correctly, a 1" wide band in the shape of a circle(before it got bent up)and I think it took up the space between the stack of clutch discs and a snap ring in one of the forward drums.

Also, I did find out the problem with my t-type trans...the convertor splines(sprag) were froze up! I could not turn the teeth in either direction. I got a D4 convertor from a member here and the trans works great now. Now if I could only figure out how to keep the rear tires from loosing traction when I take off! :rolleyes: