Transmission Problems (Shifing)

White Hell

Hey guys, my second edition to the family is a 85T.. the tranny was reworked about 20,000 miles ago by the previous owner.. the fluid and filter has been changed, even an external filter added in the tranny line going to the radiator.. I'm having a shifting problem.. really strange it shifts fine when its cold and for about 15 minutes after driving, but the more i drive it .. it wants to shift really quick to each gear when taking off slow, also when i take off sometimes it sounds like it starts off in second gear, something like a standard car taking off in second.. if i give it more gas on take off it ****s pretty normal but its ready to shift out of the gears, going 1st, 2nd, 3rd real quick, i can manuely shift it, and its fine, i can kick it in the butt and it will downshift and react correctly.. just when its warmed up and driving it normal..shift, shift, shift real quick.. I know they say these tranny's are an animal of their own..my cars sit alot and i've heard my 87GN shift quickly after driving it one day.. Hope its not a virus..LOL..i went to a tranny shop and they sold me a little bottle of lube to add, but it didnt fix the problem on the 85T.. they said it may be because of not being driven much.. Thanks for the help.. sure hope its not another rebuild.. Tony

DID YOU TRY FLUSHING IT OUT SOMETIMES THAT WORKS BECAUSE WHEN YOU CHANGE THE FLUID ALL YOU GET IS WHATS IN THE PAN THIS WAY YOU FLUSH THE CONVERTER OUT ALSO IT'S ABOUT $100 TO HAVE IT DONE

Thanks Rob

Hey Rob haven't thought of that, i will try that first.. only have changed the filter, and fluid that comes out of the pan.. i know thats not all the fluid.. so i will do the flush.. just got back in from driving her around town for about 3 hours.. same thing shifts great when cold and about 15 minutes into the ride (just on take off) she starts wanting to shift into second and third gear too quick.. also does fine on the highway and when i kick in passing gear she works fine.. thanks i'll let ya know this week..Tony

Governor

I'm no tranny expert by any means, but it sound like the spring in the governor is shoot!

It is real easy to change, just a messy job!!

And I think you need another gasket for the governor housing if

you remove it.

Good Luck!

I'm no trans expert either...... but did you try adjusting the kick down cable? A loosely adjusted kick down cable can cause the same condition!

Give it a try, it's free and no mess!

It sounds like your describing the symptoms of a sticking torque convertor clutch solenoid. Its VERY common on 2004r trannies. Its fine when cold or just warmed up, but after driving for awhile, especially in the city, the trans will upshift VERY quick along with the convertor clutch locking up and the car chugging as its shifting. I believe the solenoid is around 35 bucks or so and very easy to replace. Hope this helps yah;) Mark

Right on the money Buick Mark,I had the exact same problem one time and it turned out to be the TCC solenoid.

White Hell,

Mine is doing the exact same thing. It shifted fine before changing the fluid. Went from a synthetic fluid to type-f. What a mistake. Yesterday when I drove it, it started slippng really bad going into 2nd gear. I'm going to change that fluid out of there....

How exactly do you go about flushing it to get all of the fluid out of the TC.
I'm also going to get that TCC sel.

If you find out your problem let me know, I'll do the same here.

Me three, same thing happened to me recently. Easy fix

Well, what was the "easy fix"

Can't stand it like it is.....

Great answers

Okay guys i will check all to be safe, but Buick Mark i'll check that solenoid first.. okay here's a dumb question.. where is it located the (TCC solenoid)? hard to get to? i've never worked on a tranny.. sorry for the dumbness.. But A big thanks for the answers.. I really appreciate that.. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do the other things too..replacing that spring and flushing the tranny, plus checking that cable. I will try with the solenoid first this week and post the results.. Thanks guys.. Tony

Apullin V6

I will let you know, i'm going to let the tranny shop flush it out.. not sure if one can do it theirselves... but I think the last guy (Mark) is saying his fix was the solenoid also.. I will change the solenoid in both cars, like you said came on like the flu.. even last week i drove my other car the 87GN and it did it once.. really strange, but both my cars sit mostly..only driven on the weekends and not every weekend. so i'm doing both cars.. sure hope its not that new fluid you put in.. surely alot of guys are running the same fluid as you are Apullin V6.. let you know soon.. Tony

Re: Great answers

Originally posted by White Hell
Okay guys i will check all to be safe, but Buick Mark i'll check that solenoid first.. okay here's a dumb question.. where is it located the (TCC solenoid)? hard to get to? i've never worked on a tranny.. sorry for the dumbness.. But A big thanks for the answers.. I really appreciate that.. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do the other things too..replacing that spring and flushing the tranny, plus checking that cable. I will try with the solenoid first this week and post the results.. Thanks guys.. Tony

Unplug the 4 wire plug on the side of the trans and see if the problem goes away, if it does, the solenoid is inside the pan. Its pushed into the front pump and is held by 2-10mm bolts. Otherwise, I think you have weither a bleeding TV circuit, or leaking governer. But I am NOT a trans guru by any means

The TCC solenoid is a "goofy" part, somehow or another it "knows" when you have been inside the trans;) hehe, just kidding, but every car that I've had with the 2004r trans has done the exact same thing. You go to change the filter and fluid, and disturb nothing else, and a few days later for no reason, the trans starts short shifting all the way to overdrive after it gets hot, then when you come to a stop, the engine nearly stalls rite before the convertor clutch unlocks and all is well again. Mark

That right Mark

Your correct about the short shifting all the way to OD. but i dont have a problem with it almost stalling at the light.. I will take her to the tranny shop to replace.. i just cant work on it after having back surgery, so i dont mind paying the bucks to have her fixed right.. Thanks to Turbo Jim for telling this dumb guy where the location was.. I do remember now seeing that plug on the side.. You guys not only have fixed this car, but i'm sure my 87GN too.. plus a few more cars out there.. Once again thanks to all, this is a great board as usual.. T.

Thanks alot White Hell

Let me know what the deal is. In the mean while I'll go ahead and get that solenoid. The only way I know to flush would be just to keep adding new and dumping it , all with the same type fluid. Or to take loose the line at the rad. and drain it that way. I don't know of a local garage that does this.
Anyone done this before?
I asked the question about using Type F, haven't had any responses. I saw it in the Kirbans book about using it, but so far it's been bad luck for me. I think I'll go back to the synth. fluid.

Thanks for all the help

Sorry I forgot to mention about the type-F fluid, I have had it in my trans now for over 2 years with no problems, I changed over when I replaced my convertor with an Orange stripe convertor from the GSCA. I did have Mobil 1 synthetic ready to go in, but I remember reading something in the archives about it not being good for our trannies. Whether thats true or not I dont know, but the regular fluid, Type F or Dexron/Mercon IS alot cheaper:D Mark

Wed. morning tranny shop

Hey guys just a note to tell you, i haven't forgotten to let you know.. My first chance to go to the tranny shop is in the morning. (Wed) so i will give a report after getting the TCC solenoid changed out.. Thanks for the help again. T.