Transmission Question

DJH

Hello to everyone out there.

I recently bought an 87 Turbo T Limited with 15 original miles on it. The car is basically stock, with new tires, and the posi rear option.

The issue I seem to be having is that when I am either cruising really slow or at a stop sign and I really hit the gas hard from ......the cars ass end really vears hard to the left or right.

If I don't immediately take my foot off the accelerator it feels like the car would do a 360 and spin completely out of control. Once I left off the gas the ass end comes back in a straight line.

I do not know if the tranny has ever been serviced or if the issue is with the posi or something else in the rear end.

The tranny seems to shift strong so I really don't think that its the problem.

I know that these cars have a tendency to "hop" if you put a bigger turbo in them without making any suspension upgrades ........ the turbo I have in it is the original.

Before I take it to a mechanic to troubleshoot I wanted to ask the experts on this board what might be the possible causes (the usual suspects) of my handling problem might be.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

I guess you have never driven a real wheel drive car with a posi, street tires and strong engine before.

Sounds like it is working like it is supposed to to me.

>>>the cars ass end really vears hard to the left or right.

Sounds normal to me as well. Don`t get on the gas so hard. :)
When my folks let me drive thier new GN for the first time, it did the same thing. My heart had never beat so hard. And the g-f at the time cried! She thought we were going to die! :)
Be careful, and have fun.
Happy Holidays
Brian

Thanks to all for replying to my question above. The car actually has 15k (not 15) miles on it as my typo above suggests.

Although I have owned rear wheel drive cars in the past they did not produce the amount of torque (or ass end sway) my limited currently does.

Is this amount of sway really normal with turbo buicks or might something be wrong with the rear end?

I would rather be able to harness and direct (in a straight line) all that power the car produces. This will allow me to accomplish my objective of trashing rice burners I see all over chicago.

I have thought real hard about putting in the GNX suspension, bigger turbo, better intercooler, etc but making this decision is really hard for me as this car is a "true survivor" in its stock form.

If I keep it stock are there any accelaration tips from the pros out there that will allow me to get my Buick off the line quick yet remain in control of the car?

Happy Holidays to everyone!

When tires are spinning radically, you are not directing power.. period.

Get some sticky rubber for the rear! :)

DJH said:
Thanks to all for replying to my question above. The car actually has 15k (not 15) miles on it as my typo above suggests.

I have thought real hard about putting in the GNX suspension, bigger turbo, better intercooler, etc but making this decision is really hard for me as this car is a "true survivor" in its stock form.Happy Holidays to everyone!

Be like most keep all the original parts then put them back in if you are selling. Drag radials work great.

check the frame out above the rear axle!had a gn buddys his was broken and it did this

Maybe you need a pinnion snubber. Also, check it out the bushing on the differential. If they're OK, you may have to live with it.

sounds like every posi equipped car i've ever owned with decent power.
i wish my 84 would do that...

novaderrik said:
sounds like every posi equipped car i've ever owned with decent power

exactly.
Wheelspin and getting sideways is the by-product of torque and street tires

Nothing is wrong, thats how these cars are when stock.

The cheapest "fix" for this problem is an airbag in the passenger side rear spring. Probably the best $40 I spent on my car. After that I would put wider tires on the back..atleast 60 series. I have 275/50's on my factory rims, with no spacers and no rubbing. These tires plant the power MUCH better than the skinny stockers. You can also try the longer pinion snubber...might as well, its easy to install.

If you are still unhappy after trying the above, you can get a thicker rear sway bar. Try the thick one from fullthrottle(same as the old, ATR one). Then you can do stiffer shocks(Bilstein's),and upper and lower boxed control arms.

>>>>First do the airbag, it is cheap and works!

"Although I have owned rear wheel drive cars in the past they did not produce the amount of torque (or ass end sway) my limited currently does."

Exactly. Thats why its doing that.
All turbo regals from the factory, did not have a suspension that matched their torque output. Period. If you do not want to spin out anymore, I'd throw some good 275 drag radials on there, box your upper control and lower trailing arms, (super easy and dirt cheap to do) and throw some air bags in your rear springs. thats the cheapest way out in my opinion.
(for the tire spinning issue)
if you care to take your suspension one step further, throw in some bilstein shocks all the way around, and drop some really good springs in there, like say, eibach, moog etc etc. box the front control arms, get a new sway bar for the front (the thinnest possible) with new energy suspension mounts and end links/bushings (graphite impregnated poly) and a thick sway bar for the rear, and throw graphite impregnated poly bushings allll the way around the car. body bushings, all control arms, trailing arms sway bars etc etc.
do not do the pinion snubber. too many people i know had bad luck with that. you WANT your car to squat. if your car, is hitting that pinion snubber, youre in baaad shape my friend. had a guy squat his turbo t so quick (by punching it) it smacked that snubber soo hard, it bent his rear body so fast, it blew out his rear winshield. dont do it. ya dont need it. its a gimmick.
but, as we all know the most important piece of your suspension, is tires. if you choose a good drag radial for your rear (ie nittos, bfg, mt, hoosier ) you should get a good front tire as well. but, if you do the entire suspension, i would do a good low profile z rated tire all the way around. something with a soft compound, and stiff sidewalls. at that point, (an upgraded suspension) ya shouldnt really be able to spin say, a 200 rated compound bfg KD sport tire for example. you should be good to go. BUT. never forget, get the 4 frame brace kits from kirbans. if you dont, you will and i promise this, crack your body. theyre not durable enough for 355 foot pounds of torque. when you do those frame brace kits, do the engine tie down strap as well. also, make sure your car is properly tuned. do the spring cleaning on it. and get a scan master as well. so you know whats goin on, and can spot a problem in the early stages, before your car starts ejecting shiny parts from the engine bay. ;)

Thanks to my turbo buick brothers above for their responses to the question I posted. I really do appreciatte it.

I am very tempted to install the full GNX suspension upgrade (ala Kirban) but I would hate to take away from the overall value of the car given that its in stock condition.......it took 3rd place at the 2005 GS Nats in its class :cool: .

Decisions, decisions, decisions,............. I can either have a s---load of fun by harnessing all that power and torgue (but hurt the value of the car) by upgrading it...... or I can keep it completely stock and retain its survivor status but have much less fun with it.

Financially I can only afford one turbo regal and it took me 3 years to find this one so buying another one to modify and romp on is not an option.

Man this is a tough decision :confused:

its an easy choice. do NOT install that suspension. its simply not needed. do what we told you to do here, and you wont have anymore traction problems, plus, you can always return the parts to stock again. boxed control arms, airbags in the springs, soft, wide tires, and a stiffer rear sway bar is all you would need man. trust me.