You can type here any text you want

Trick to replacing front rubber brake lines?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
I think its an 11mm head on the hard brake line that attaches to the bracket that converts to the rubber line to feed the front calipers. I'm letting it soak in pb-blaster, but it won't come loose. I wish I had a 11mm flare nut wrench, but I can't find one.

Vice grips or a smaller pipe wrench. Are going with ss lines or rubber? I put ss lines on a car. I could not believe the difference in the brake pedal.

I think its an 11mm head on the hard brake line that attaches to the bracket that converts to the rubber line to feed the front calipers. I'm letting it soak in pb-blaster, but it won't come loose. I wish I had a 11mm flare nut wrench, but I can't find one.

7/16" line wrench.

7/16" flare nut wrench.. apply pressure while tapping the other end of the wrench with a hammer to knock things loose. then once it breaks loose, resist the temptation to just force it apart- wiggle the wrench back and forth to alternately tighten and loosen the nut.. it will go a little farther each time. eventually, the nut will totally free itself from the line and come apart without twisting the hard line.

I already have SS braided lines I bought last year but never had time to put in.

My 7/16 line wrench just spins around on it. That's what I started out with. The 11mm open ended wrench seems to be tighter fit but spins as well. I'll let it sit some more in pb blaster and maybe tonight it will come loose after the kids go to bed and I install some shelves the wife wants installed in the baby room. I'll try the hammer and wiggle approach.

Thanks

I already have SS braided lines I bought last year but never had time to put in.

My 7/16 line wrench just spins around on it. That's what I started out with. The 11mm open ended wrench seems to be tighter fit but spins as well. I'll let it sit some more in pb blaster and maybe tonight it will come loose after the kids go to bed and I install some shelves the wife wants installed in the baby room. I'll try the hammer and wiggle approach.

Thanks

If it's already spinning you are past the hammer and wiggle approach you're into vise grips or cutting and reflaring most likely.

Yeah, got the cutting wheel out. Looks to be plenty of hard line to reflare it.

I did mine today... every part of the brake system fought me. I just converted to vacuum brakes and SS lines.

Yes it is 11mm bye the way. I found tapping it with a hammer (notice I said tapping!!) in both directions eventually broke it free. Also blast everything with brake cleaner before you do anything, that made a huge difference for some reason.

Well, vise grips finally got the old nut off on the pass side. The driver side went very easy using the vise grip on the flare wrench to keep it from flexing technique. Thanks for that tip- will use that in the future for sure!!!! Wish I had done that on the other side first. Installed new stock replacement calipers, pads, ss Fragola lines and gravity bled it. Will use the pos cardone iron master until the new 81 caddy el dorado master gets here Thurs...

Back