You can type here any text you want

Troubleshooting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yup, it should do the same!

It's a bit easier to test...

turn the crank until the until the trigger wheel "vane" is within the crank sensor tabs, then take a voltage measurement...

then move the crank so NO vane is between the tabs, then take another measurement.

I'm not sure which is which, but ONE reading should be from 5 to 12 volts, the other from 0-2 volts.

My thinking is, if BOTH sensors voltage test badly, then it may be the ignition module you need to look at(?) It's hard to believe both sensors would go bad at the same time! (unless some sort of electric problem fried 'em?)

I have a full-blown flowchart from GM that goes thru step-by-step to troubleshoot a no-start problem, but I can't get it to scan decently, and I haven't found time to duplicate it...I'd really like to get it on the internet, because it makes more sense than I do!
;)

Kevin idid the test for the crank sensor and got 7 volts with the sensor in the window and out of it, what other test are there for the ignition module?
Dale

Got a different meter today and took cam and crank sensor readings. Volts never dropped below 7.1 so i believe its the coiuld module thats bad. Are there anymore test i can do to make sure before i go out and but one?
Dale

Dale, if you're always getting 7 volts no matter where the trigger ring is set, you're sensor is bad! Anyone close by that you could borrow one from to be sure?

Just thought of something, here's a link CLICK HERE! to a very dirty picture that shows WHICH SLOTS in the crank sensor the trigger rings must go into! Not sure if anyone brought this up yet? Anyway, check the pic...sensor wont' work if the ring is running thru the wrong slots!

(PS, got your e-mail--I won't be around today, but I'll e-mail you my work number, I can be reached there monday!)

Running Again

Got car running again this afternoon. Took Kevin's advice and replaced the crank sensor and started getting a backfire thought the exhaust, then i replaced the cam sensor and it fired right up. Want to send thanks to Kevin, Matt, and CrazyGn for all the help. Holiday Buick in town had the parts i needed on the shelf was lucky enough to get cam and crank sensor this morning. Hope i didnt miss anyone I appriciate all the help.
Dale

Back