You can type here any text you want

trunk as a speaker box?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WHOOSH86

Suckered by PTE.
I have a powered enclosed speaker box (kenwood's answer to the bazuka tube) in the trunk of the Buick that doesn't perform well when the trunk is closed and that's a problem becase it would look way funny driving down the street with the trunk open all the time. But my question is...I want to change the box that's in the trunk now for a set of RF pro 10"sthat I have laying around. should I just run them free air considering what is happening in the trunk with the box that I have or should I make an enclosure for them that's ported? Any idea's. TIA Craig

Those RF Pro-10s need an enclosure. I am not a fan of apheriodic membranes or infinate baffle (free-air) but if you decide to do free-air set-up, get a subwoofer that is designed for that purpose. If you want those RF 10s to rock the house, you could run them like my set-up which the cabinet is ported through the rear deck that will bring the low end sound into the cabin of your car. The way I did mine performed way beyond my expectations. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• gn back seat.jpg
    gn back seat.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 418
Audiowizard...do you build boxes like that and sell them?
If so, I think I would be very very interested in one. Same exact design, ported into the cabin. I am thnking of running 2 JL audio 12s or 10" drivers. Any insight?

Thanks in advance

Yes I can!

Originally posted by Boston Boy
Audiowizard...do you build boxes like that and sell them?
If so, I think I would be very very interested in one. Same exact design, ported into the cabin. I am thnking of running 2 JL audio 12s or 10" drivers. Any insight?

Thanks in advance

Yes I do but to get the port into the right position of deck I really need to have car but I could build it and send you the ports with cabinet and then you can position them into deck after you cut the holes for them.

You also must remove torsion bars and build a trunk lid support of some kind to make this design work. E-mail me for details and price, thanks.

the infamous trunk

With the trunk closed and the subs on the rear deck you get a delay in your sub frequencies because of the reflections of the sub's sound against the back of the trunk and then forward into the passenger compartment.

Optimumly, the subs should be placed only a few inches from the back of the trunk.

Sub frequencies have a much longer wavelength than higher frequencies and sometimes that fact can be most noticed if the sound you hear is slightly delayed with what you hear from your other speakers up front in the car.

There are several ways to address it, but the simplest is to make sure your trunk's weatherstripping is in good condition and it seals tight.

You can build a ported-into-passenger compartment enclosure like Audiowizards. The aperodic design is very good when tuned properly, but sealing off the trunk from the interor can be a bit of a task to say the least since you need to do so in order to really garner the true benefit of a AP design.

good luck

I was at the finals in Dallas a few years ago and got a chance to listen to Gary Biggs Buick with the aperiodic membrane with 2 15" subs and it sounded very good at low to moderate level but when he cranked it up a few notches, the sound of the subs went all to "HELL". He grinned at me and said "you have to pay the price to save some space" :D .because his trunk was filled with everything you could think of. It still sounded awesome to say the least :cool: .

Here ya go WikedV6, I am pushing this to the top. Let me know which subs you decide to go for so I can come up with a design. The pic of my trunk will be similar to the design for the 3 12" subs with ported deck.

Thanks for all your help Audiowizard, I wiil be in search for subs.Once I decide which brand to get I will send you a @ mail.

JL Subs

I have a 83 Regal with two JL W3 10's in a sealed box mounted under the rear deck facing the back of the car. This is an ideal setup. I have lots of really low bass and hits very hard. I'm running a MTX 2160 425 watt amp bridged to the subs. The JL subs are very good, consider them. Also Look into MTX. In my Dodge Dakota I have two MTX thunder 8000 12's in a custom built sealed box and it's crazy. We're talking down to 20 hrtz!! I'm running a MTX 3200X amp ( 750 watts) which is just awesome. MTX subs can sound very good in a small sealed enclosure. Look into the thunder 6000 10's they are a great sub also. Have fun shopping

Yes, I'm resurrecting a 7 year old post.... (the power of SEARCH):eek:

What would be the best way to mount an Infinity Basslink? It has the speaker firing one way, and a passive panel the other....

Does it matter since both are moving the air?

Thanks,

Yes, I'm resurrecting a 7 year old post.... (the power of SEARCH):eek:

What would be the best way to mount an Infinity Basslink? It has the speaker firing one way, and a passive panel the other....

Does it matter since both are moving the air?

Thanks,

Its hard to say ...install, dont bolt down, experiment w/ placement, and then you tell us what works in that circumstance. My guess is both firing sideways w/ them in a corner by a tail light, woofer out passive radiator in, but not touching.

Dayum and I've been running my JBL original series GTI subs. with a meager 100 watts RMS per channel free air for many years now. :p

Some very low end equalization needed to extend the response a few Hz., but are reasonably flat for good S.Q. with rock music.

I use a relatively high 120Hz. crossover as well, but have removed the back seat cushion which also helped a ton when running free air.

Another tool you can use if you can rent or find one is a 1/3 octave sound analyzer and pink noise to check for proper placement/equalization.

Then again many people prefer the boom or increased bass kick to a flat response anyways. :p

I guess using your ears as mentioned works well too. :cool:

Then again many people prefer the boom or increased bass kick to a flat response anyways. :p

I guess using your ears as mentioned works well too. :cool:

The reason I suggest ears, is he asked about an infinity bass link and that will tell you generally the buyer is not looking for Hybrid Audio Legatia components, Morel, Focal or any other Ultra high end SQ set up....just a sub placement...a sub woofer (60hz and below) has no image, but does play on reflection.....

The reason I suggest ears, is he asked about an infinity bass link and that will tell you generally the buyer is not looking for Hybrid Audio Legatia components, Morel, Focal or any other Ultra high end SQ set up....just a sub placement...a sub woofer (60hz and below) has no image, but does play on reflection.....
Well said Greg.
John

Thanks for the feedback guys... I don't have a lot of time these days to play 'find the speaker sweet spot', so I was hoping someone had already gone through this experimentation before. I'll try turning it 180 degrees in place to start with, since the mounts are already screwed into the trunk floor.

Greg is spot on... I merely want the basslink to fill out the bottom end of my mostly stock system (not even concert sound). I would ideally like some solid, crisp kick, but I know that's not going to happen without some other significant updgrades.

Thanks,

Back