You can type here any text you want

Trying to figure out what I raced.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JDSfastGN

I raced some car out on Westheimer tonight and I don't know what it was. This was in my high mileage pretty much stock 86 GN. It had a custom lisence plate that said R34-GTR Well I was like "its a skyline". We messed around and finally got a run from a 35 mph roll and I pulled about a car and a half up to 85 or so and then let out. This car had a non-texas lisence plate and had two small mexican flags in each corner. It was left hand drive, and had a dual A pillar gauge with a boost gauge. I never heard much of a turbo or a blow off valve though. It had dual round tail lights that were the same size , not like the pics I saw of the R34s on the net which had the outside rear light bigger than the insides. The headlights also looked a bit bigger. It had what looked like a after market hood with a SS type scoop on the hood. It had dual-daul exhaust. And had a scoop right behind doors kinda like a boxter. It had the basic shape like a skyline and said GTR and stuff on the trunk. (not ricy just there) I didn't get a chance to talk to them, they turned off the second they lost. The confusing part is that I tried to get them to go earlier in the night and they wouldn't. I went and got in a left hand turn and was sitting at the red light and he got behind me and got out of the car and popped the trunk and messed with something. I figured it was nitrous but when I made the U-y(sp) He hung way back for a mile or so and then about 5 mins later he came up revvin. So i turned around to where there was no traffic and we went at it. Anybody got a clue what I raced. I was running about 17 psi and I don't believe I should be able to pull a stock R34 Skyline I've heard they trap 102+ mph. But he hung pretty good, like a stock LT1 would have. Thanks for any ideas.

lol on the GTO, this was no LS1 sound. I don't see any car on that page that really looks even 80% like what I ran. I'm thinking it must have had some body work done, since it had some sticker for a bodyshop from mexico, and I think it might have been a car from mexico, these were not local plates and they had that foreign look with skinny letters and all. Did mexico recieve and skylines?

This is just an idea, but they do make full body kits for honduhs! that make them look just like Skylines.:rolleyes:

thats what I was thinking but this car was actually pretty quick (14.3-14.5 ) or so. I was surprised and he also launched at one light when I was a few cars back in the line and it launched very hard with no wheel spin, which led em to believe it was AWD. I dunno, who knows.

Sounds like it could have been a skyline. (especially the way you described the back end) The turbocharged ones are only rated at 280 HP stock, and with AWD, it is significantly heavier than the typical rice box. Being able to run a 102 mph trap could mean a mid 13 to a mid 14 sec 1/4 mile run. Of course, this depends a lot on the driver too.

I'm with you on one thing tho, I wish a lot of these people would stick around after a kill so they don't go home thinking they got beat by "another V8 american car." ;)

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
I was running about 17 psi and I don't believe I should be able to pull a stock R34 Skyline I've heard they trap 102+ mph.

I don't see why not. Skylines are among the most over-rated cars produced.

I don't see why not. Skylines are among the most over-rated cars produced
The reason I say that is the 86 has 150,000 on the stock motor and the tranny is really sloppy on both shifts(you have to let out to make sure it goes into gear, and The line pressure is has gotten lower over time to where the TV cable is so far back that I can't go WOT without it clicking forward and slipping very badly). But I guess its possible, since it will pull most LT1s all the way to 100 and it will stay in front of an LS1 until 60 or so then I end up losing by about 2.5 car lengths at the end of the quarter mile. I really don't rag on it that much I just had to show them what was up. The tranny is next in line after my 87s tranny is all buttoned up.

You guys hear the rumor about Nissan bringing the Skyline to the US for the 2004 or 2005 model year? I don't know about all of you, but I think that will be pretty awesome. They have fairly good power (with a lot of aftermarket things too) and very good looks in my opinion. The only bad thing will be the dumb people that will buy them thinking they got the fastest cars on the street.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by VIRGIN87T
The only bad thing will be the dumb people that will buy them thinking they got the fastest cars on the street.:rolleyes:

I think that the way these cars are depicted in video games is one of the major reasons why people think they are so hot. I guess some people have trouble seperating real life from fantasy. :rolleyes:

monte?

word on the street is that chevy is introducing their new monte carlo in 2004 with rwd posi and a vette engine? ture or not? anyone?

Skylines over-rated??? Dude...what are you thinking? That car is freakin' awesome! It combines handling with brute power, and really doesn't sacrifice any of the creature comforts to do so. I think that anyone who says the Skyline is over rated has never driven or ridden in one. I had the opportunity to go for a ride in a friend of a friends R33, and it absolutely lived up to all the hype I've heard. Besides, how many other cars do you know of that can withstand up to 1200 hp on the stock bottom end? I'm sure they're out there, but you have to give credit where credit is due....Nissan actually built a hell of a car with the Skyline.

The only reason the Skyline is rated at 27x HP is because of the limit on horsepower in Japan. As far as I know, it was kind of a gentlemen's agreement between the manufacturers to keep HP ratings from getting out of hand.

The Skyline is an incredible car IMO... :)

I wish the guy from Motorex would chime in. I forget his name.

From Motorex's website they want $90K for a 99-2001 Skyline....

For that money I get a used car with 280 HP and a 0-100 time of 12.7 (about 13.3 in the 1/4).

For the same money I can have a used AWD 400 HP 911 TT porsche that will do 0-100 in 9 seconds and 12.2 in the 1/4 mile.

Gee, really hard to decide that one :rolleyes:

Skylines are cool, but for that money(which is a big deal) mid 13s is not a big deal. Everybody says they can withstand 1200 hp on stock blocks blah blah blah, well for probably a 10th of the price I can build a bullit proof small block, turbo 6 or big block from any GM brand. I garontee that motor will not last with that 1200 hp. Then there is the handling, well no 1200 hp skyline will handle worth a crap. They are nice cars but I agree overrated for what they are. And there really is no image to be had in a skyline either, even compared to a corvette which is half the price. 90,000 $ to get beat by a corvette and then get owned in the handling department by the Z06.

I was merely stating to some people, that can afford it, it's not about getting the most for your money.

Some people just like them whether they are the fastest for cheapest or not.

BTW, how did this thread turn into a friggin debate over what can be built for $100K vs. buying a Skyline.

metal-box, I will agree, people that have money don't care about it if they have enough. They are very fast, cool cars, I just get tired of hearing about them all the time from misinformed playstation racers that say they run 10s stock blah blah.... But they are nice cars and I will give nissan credit for building it. If it is brought over here, hopefully GM will comeout with something to answer it.

Back