You can type here any text you want

TTA and Champion Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

v6fever

How difficult is it to install Champion Heads on a TTA? Can the Champion Valve covers be used? This may have been covered, but I am new to the site be kind.

Champion sells TTA nad GN heads. If your question pertains to GN heads, then forget about it.. The TTA heads are a good weekend worth of wrench turning. Tho bone stock heads will get you into the 11's no problem.

No Champion does not made TTA valve covers.. notice the 3 acorn nuts in the center... the GN's use different heads.. completely different.

HTH

I have been thinking about this more lately as I get closer to going to a built motor. What is it that wont fit? I have heard that if you went to GN type heads that you then cant get a down pipe in the car. I have also heard some thing about the a/c wont fit then and I also have heard that the manifolds wont fit.

So basically my question is that if you put on GN heads, and maybe even GN exh manifolds then what is it that wont fit and why? Do they hit some where if so what parts hits and where does it hit. My car's a pig I dont have a pretty one :( . So if it would be a matter of modifying an area or two I may still be interested. I know alot of guys put these drive trains in other cars and have all kinds of issues to deal with.

If I had a nicer TTA I wouldnt consider it but since mine is a turd any way I may be willing to do the mods needed to make it work. I mean guys modify frame rails to run bigger tires. They move where the motor mount in the chasis.... all kinds of stuff. My dad even fabricated his own frame for his rodster project.

Your a prime example Razor. You've done the work to make an alky kit that did what you wanted one to do. You got a lot of time and work figureing out how to come up with a roller rocker solution. Guys like you stepping up to address these problems makes life better for the rest of us. I would imagine that every TTA guy out there would atleast LIKE to see a GN1 option available to us TTA guys.... 14 head bolts... ahhhhhhh! :D

Jason

Historically there have been some different posts about why GN heads don't work, but the common answer is the a/c. As we know, TR headers don't fit TTA heads, so... Here's a prior quote (not from me BTW):

"You cannot use the GN headers with out cutting out the ac box.
The down pipe goes right where the accumulator and box is. "
Supposedly you can put a non-A/C 1LE airbox in place of the TTA unit and get fresh air.

When I was on the gn forums, the common perception was the
F-Body shock towers prevented the heads from being used, but this is obviously not true because several people have stage motors with GN-type heads in TTA's and they did not modify the towers. However, every TTA that I have seen with GN heads had the a/c completely removed.

I'm not going to debate TTA head flow vs TR head flow because you can get both of them to flow well. Stock for stock the perception is TTA heads outflow TR's, but I personally never read any flow results or some common baseline measurement.

Don't mean to misquote or mislead anyone with inaccurate info...

Originally posted by postal

Your a prime example Razor. You've done the work to make an alky kit that did what you wanted one to do. You got a lot of time and work figureing out how to come up with a roller rocker solution. Guys like you stepping up to address these problems makes life better for the rest of us. I would imagine that every TTA guy out there would atleast LIKE to see a GN1 option available to us TTA guys.... 14 head bolts... ahhhhhhh! :D

Jason

Jason, I look up to you as well.. Anyone that can do so much with so little is a hero in my book.

I believe that if you use the GN heads, the downpipe will be your issue... And getting a 3 1/2 inch downpipe will require a lot of massaging. Hell even the GN's to get a bigger pipe in them, must ditch the AC due to clearance issues on the upper a-arms and dryer.

Heres something cute, tonite I had come over listen to the motor, he said" Sounds like a sewing machine" .. :D

Pulled 22 psi on the highway tonite.. really really clean, covers ground much faster and smoother than before.

NOS system goes in on Sunday.. time permitting.. next weekend the event is coming up.. just for a little ooomph.

Back