You can type here any text you want

TTA Boost control issues

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WHITE T

Baer Brake Systems
Hey Guys,

Quick questions, need opinions.

I just put on an ATR DP and wastegate on my TTA. I have the ATR gate with the 18# spring (lowest boost should be 16# according to ATR). I am also running a bleeder valve to control boost.

With the valve closed all the way boost is roughly 15#'s, and it is steady until 3rd-4th gear and it starts creeping (maybe as high as 20#'s). I have the wastegate sol. unplugged.

I originally had the gate mounted right to the DP (since installed a gasket). Don't notice any leaks, but the ATR valve seals to the DP, so I don't see that being an issue anyway.

Anybody with this simiar problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rick

Yeah common problem. It could be a few things.

1) the internal shaft thing in those units is noted for going. That's most likely what is going on. (mental blank on what I'm actually trying to say). ATR rebuilds them, but someone else does it better - either John Craig or Precision Turbo I think. Might want to check with them.

2) Do you have the bleeder plumbed back into the top of the wastegate? This is supposed to give you added control of boost. It keeps pressure on the top of the diaphram.

3) Is the adjustment screw on the wastegate all the way in or out? I have always had mine in, but another friend who had the same unit and same problem had his all the way out and said ATR recommended all the way out.

If you have had this gate for a while, #1 is most likely the cause. Sorry for the technical mind-blank, but it has to do with the material used and how it goes together.

HTH

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the help!

The wastegate is brand new (maybe 10 miles)! :)

I plumbed the bleeder to the bottom of the wastegate, the top has a plug in it that came from ATR. Should I change this?

I did not adjust the screw on the wastgate. I know with previous external wastegates (non ATR) that is already set and not to be changed.

Thanks again!
Rick

So your bleed valve vents to the atmosphere? If so, put a fitting in the top of the wastegate and plumb the "output" of the valve back into the top of the gate.

try boost with the spring all the way out, then all the way in. See if one is better or eliminates the problem.

Not cool that this is brand new - hopefully that would eliminate manufacturing issues, but you never know.

My gate was brand-new when I had it modified. I bought it from Jay Carter via ATR when they first came out and Jay recommended the mod that John Craig did. I believe the area the puck seals against is not that "robust" and wears out; the mod improves flow, sealing and reliability.

Back