TTA buy or build?

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
I haven't posted here in a while(activated the name but never got around to conversing much).here's the questions

1.i know how hard of a time it would be to find a hardtop tta(i hate t-tops)what benefits do real tta's have compared to swapping the tta drivetrain into an f body?if any?other than having an original historic automobile.

2.what would be a better option,just dealing with having t-tops(if i had to)or building a tta from another f body base car?

3.cost wise which one would be more efficient?i've spent at least 20,000 over my last two 350 tpi f bodies,i wanna do this one right from the getgo.

4.if i were to use gn parts(i know about the a/c problem)in an f body will the aftermarket headers and crossover pipe work(with a special dp).also what about gn motor mounts in a f body?

5.someone has given me some great info to start with just wanna get some more opinions on the subject.also can anyone direct me to a site so i can start pricing the parts i need.i.e casper's electronics,gm dealer(if they haven't discontinued everything),etc.

6. i would like to procure the swap parts and have everything i need(well pretty much everything)before i find a suitable donor car(camaro or t/a haven't decided)

7what's your opinion with these cars?a TTA or a TZ28?

thanx for any replies guys

Pete

id love to do a 91-92 gta or a 91-92 base firdbird-

if you could find a sweet hardtop gta for around 5k, sell off the tpi 350, and use the extra money to build a sweet 3.8 turbo motor-

you would have a hardtop gta that would fly

:raises hand:

i built my own :D

i found a complete(well almost complete) TTA motor with teh headers and harness and stuff....just gotta look for em :)

Quick6'n'-K.C. has the right idea, find a nice GTA/Z28 and sell off the drivetrain. I got $2800 for the Corvette L98/700r4/painless wiring kit out of my Iroc. (Recently rebuilt, & still slow:rolleyes: )

for $20K in a 3rd gen fbod w/ the 3.8 swap you'll be running 11's easy!

If you get a GN motor it'll work using GN motormounts/brackets. You can also use the GN manifolds and x-over pipe. A custom dp will have to be made though...

If you are going to use the 200R4 you'll have to have a TTA tranny mount/torque arm set up, I believe the rear end is different in a TTA so you'll need a spohn engineering torque arm/tranny mount, $400.

Aside from that, a fuel system and wiring are the only issues left. That and possibly the speedometer for the l/u torque converter.

GTA/Z28 is pretty much the same, just looks a little different. I actually prefer the look of the GTA, but since I've had this Iroc for the past 10 years...........

trading t/a

I have a project TTA for sale. Unlike the GTA, you'll have the 1LE brakes and the correct dash.....

E-mail if interested.

is your project tta still for sale?

looking for a project turbo car to buy is it still for sale? thanks wolf:confused:

I know this is my first post, and I may not have a popular opinion, but I AM NOT TROUBLEMAKING SPAM!!! Now, with that said. My friend and I have discussed this before, but for what you could put a decent GN motor together for, you could build a twin turbo 383 and dump it into an F-body. It won't really be a clone with a V6 unless you spend a ton of money, so why not have something that is more robust and definitely more powerful than the 6? Now, please don't get me wrong, I drool over GN's on a dialy basis, but these days, small block parts are so cheap and strong it is starting to make sense.

Thanks for hearing me out

dave-
cool little site on the pinto you have started-
ive seen some quick ones here and there-

i think the price of a 383 and the twin turbo setup will be a tad more then getting a gn motor done-
heck, 20 psi on a stock small block is enough to put the crank thru the oil pan :eek: :eek:

good luck on the pinto project, she ought to boogy :)

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
dave-
cool little site on the pinto you have started-
ive seen some quick ones here and there-

i think the price of a 383 and the twin turbo setup will be a tad more then getting a gn motor done-
heck, 20 psi on a stock small block is enough to put the crank thru the oil pan :eek: :eek:

good luck on the pinto project, she ought to boogy :)

Thanks for the comments on the site. I have some updates I'll try to get to this weekend.

I'm not sure what a complete GN motor/tranny ECU is going for, but a good stock 350 shortblock with cheap ported heads will go 600hp with turbo's, heck, you could even blow thru a carb to keep it cheap. But I don't think the cost will be that far off. Maybe I'm overvaluating the cost of a GN drivetrain (never looked into it, just guessing based on limited production). Trust me, I've thought about it many times, but as you can see, I already have my hands full :cool:

Parts will be available soon for the swap

I found some tta pads and am working with Paul Ferry at H&R parts to get the mounts and all Factory install parts such as these that are hard to find reproduced, to facilitate a easy drop in of a Gn motor,just would need a custom downpipe as the Gn motor fits without ac of course.:D

F-body Swapping

If you get a GN motor it'll work using GN motormounts/brackets. You can also use the GN manifolds and x-over pipe. A custom dp will have to be made though...

If you are going to use the 200R4 you'll have to have a TTA tranny mount/torque arm set up, I believe the rear end is different in a TTA so you'll need a spohn engineering torque arm/tranny mount, $400.

Roc.. is right on there.

We use the GN motor/frame pads(HR PARTS MOUNTS) with stock GN headers/cross over with Terry Houston GN "start" of the Down pipe about 11" or so. then make the rest from scratch.

The rear suspention we use the complete South Side Machiene kit that removes the silly Torque arm. We've got the South Side system figured out with a 10.5" tire your unlimited on traction the way we've set it up. The kit comes with frame connectors,liftbars,driveshaft loop and crossmember. it sells for 400.00 and sure is alot more of a value than making a useless system with the torque arm try to work!

Approx cost on GN engine/trans is 1500-3000.00 complete depending on milage and condition.
Then building it up for your desire in performance/budjet is up to you.
Trying to compair a single/twin sbc even if the motor was left "stock" that's not the expencive part! The DFI/FAST to run it is 2000.00
Custom headers figure 12-1800, Custom down pipes4-800.00,EFI manifold,fuel rails,8injectors 1800-2500., Thats just for starters!
From working with small blocks with mostly stock parts to working with the GN motors I feel that the 3.8 is the most dependable/fuel saving/drivable/cheapest to build. I have almost stopped building small blocks anymore there is just no point in it. I just can't dollar for dollar match the performance the Buick has to offer! ~ScottPower Concepts Inc

i just checked out your website, nice!!
also, on the front page, it took me about 35-45 seconds to figure out that the engine negitive is flipped around!!
lol--- looks kinda weird that way?!?!

Lol

I've had quite a few people ask about that! My web page people must have done that I keep asking them if they would turn it around but It's becoming quite a conversation piece :)

Anyone that has Swap questions i'd be happy to help.
We've done several F-body GN conversions
LT1 into S-10's
Current project is LT1 into 58 Impalla! Almost ment to fit there!
I'm putting a 3.8L Buick into my former SBC S-10 too. I'll have swap data on that this summer.
Thanks for the reply, Scott Klepinger.:D