You can type here any text you want

Tta Driveshaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbota

Has anyone installed an aluminum driveshaft in a tta successfully.
My old steel one needs to be replaced, and i dont want to put another 29 pound one back in ??? If so please let me know where to get one thanx- TURBOTA

I was thinking about puting an aluminum one in myself. Found out the 3rd and 4th gen (lt1) shafts were interchangeable. I also found out the tta shaft is unique to the car. There is someone over on the topica.com list that has the address of someone that made his up and there is always adds in CarCraft. If I were to end up doing it I would go to a local diesel truck shop in town that makes and balances shafts and have one made using my old one for reference.

TTA583

Thanks to TTA's # 583 & 850 for the replies. I looked on John's site, but did not see any prop shafts in his catalog.
I did what my wallet said not to and called Lingenfelter to see if they had a shaft that would fit. They did not, but reffered me to thier aluminum propeller shaft supplier. I called thier rep there (who was gone for the day) and left a message. Hopefully he will call me back with good news on monday.
If anyone is interested in one please let me know, and maybe we could get a "deal" on more than one. I have had some dealings with LPE and know that if the prop shaft supplier is doing business with John ---- the guy is first class.
Let me know !!! Thanx again TURBOTA #70 (AKA The t-a from hell )

I was quoted 350.00 for one 4 months ago fwiw from a local driveshaft manufacturer.Custom aluminum with new everything.

So...350 bucks to lose 20 lbs :)

Seems like whome ever it was on topica I had this discussion with said he paid around $350 to have one made up. Just wanting to give you and idea of a good rate.

tta583

Thanks for the update. I just got off the phone with Bill Owen (G.M. powertrain engineer on the 89 anniversary car project) and he basically said that the reason the tta has a different part number prop shaft from the other 89s is the 2004r thans vs/ the v-8 engined cars. The difference is if the trans yoke ! If thats the case all I have to do is get one from Lingenfelter, and change the yoke -- so I willtry that.

Thanx again TURBOTA (TTA#70)

Moser has them in severl diameters. A 3" aluninum will be not a strong as the stock if thats a concern.

Originally posted by tta583
Found out the 3rd and 4th gen (lt1) shafts were interchangeable. I also found out the tta shaft is unique to the car. /B]

That's because the lenghts of the Th700R4, T5 and T56 are all the same. The TH200R4 is longer (if I am not mistaken).

TTA is by itself...I paid $500 for my alum drive shaft from "Denny's"...nice quality piece... ya I know everyone can get them for a $100...;)

Grumpy: thanx for the info ! If someone offered me a prop shaft for $100, I would'nt take it. Thanx again. TURBOTA (#70)

Thought I'd chime in again scince I just picked up mine the other day.

I got a custom alum shaft 3/4" shorter and with a yoke for a Turbo 400 tranny from The Driveshaft Shop on Long Island for $414.

Said it should hold up behind a t-brake and 700hp so it should handle my motor with ease :D

Steve

Steve: thanx for the info. If you have a phone number and a name of someone there I would appreciate knowing it. turbota

Is the driveshaft the same as other F bodies than, LT1 and thirdgen alum are easy enought to find cheap.

Will it work if I swap the yokes and do the u-joints?

later
Jeremy

Yes you need to cut the driveshaft,the 700R4 is 30 13/16" long while the 200R4 is 27 3/4" long so you need to take out 3 1/16" out of your driveshaft.I do't know who around you does it but there is a place by me that will shorten and balance your driveshaft for around $50.I don't have an aluminum one,only steel but you can use one of mine while you have yours cut so when we are ready to drop the motor in you won't have to wait for the shaft to get cut and you can use the car while it's being cut.

Steve
1989 TTA's #124, #850, and #884
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/411384 www.turbotweak.com

Found my answer I believe here. Are these lengths accurate? Mine is in storage and I'm going to try and get as much as I can squared away before I even get her out. I've horse traded for a good 9 bolt, trying to work out the driveshaft situation. than swap it all after I hopefully find some money for janis to do my tranny.

thanks
Jeremy

For what it's worth, here's an old post I saved from a place in Florida. Not sure if they are still doing this work.

PST's phone number is 888-575-7888.
Driveshaft dimensions are
46 5/8" end to end
45 1/4" center line to center line of u-joints
51 1/4" over all length with front yoke.

Found my answer I believe here. Are these lengths accurate? Mine is in storage and I'm going to try and get as much as I can squared away before I even get her out. I've horse traded for a good 9 bolt, trying to work out the driveshaft situation. than swap it all after I hopefully find some money for janis to do my tranny.

thanks
Jeremy

I got myself confused there :) It's been so long scince I did this please dont go off of what I've posted and measure for yourself. The measurememnts came from a magazine article documenting the differences between the GM automatic transmissions.

According to TCI's website the 2004R is 27 11/16" long and the 700R4 is 30 3/4" long meaning the TTA driveshaft should be longer than that of a regular f-body w/700R4.

HTH,
Steve

Cool.

Thans for the heads up, thats why I was asking :-)

I just wont have the car home for awhile yet, and just looking to get everything done that I can minus the car.

later
Jeremy

turbota said:
Has anyone installed an aluminum driveshaft in a tta successfully.
My old steel one needs to be replaced, and i dont want to put another 29 pound one back in ??? If so please let me know where to get one thanx- TURBOTA

Here's the link for PST, it has the prices listed.
http://www.pstds.com/

Back