TTA Engine with 700r4 and Rear End???

sheckyZ28

I plan on using a '89 Turbo Trans Am engine in a 3rd gen F-body. I was also planning on using the 700r4 transmisson with a 2800-3200 stall converter and stock rear end. I was wondering what you guys thought of how things with hold up and if any of you have tried this combination.

-Chris

Chris,

Where in Ga are you located? The 700R4 should work ok. TCI sells an adapter plate to bolt the Buick motor up to it. The stock rear end should be fine as long as you don't drag race it or put drag radials on it. These motors make a lot of torque. They can kill driveline parts quick. If you're planning to run the car,....get a good 9", 12-bolt, or Dana. What turbo are you planning to run?

I plan on using a T61 turbo. And was kinda planning on drag racing it. Only with street tire for the time being. Im located in Warner Robins.

hehe i'm doing the same thing, motor should be in my garage with in 2 weeks :) i'm gonna be running a built 700r4 with the stock 9-bolt 3.27 rear

I ran low 12s with the stock rear end and ET streets for quite some time and changed it out for a drum brake 10-bolt stocker just because the discs wouldn't hold much boost on the line. The 9-bolt is supposedly stronger, but only comes with discs. The 10-bolt has seen a 1.53, a 1.54, a 1.59 and more than 50 1.6x 60' times and hasn't even started to whine, yet. I know I'm pressing my luck but I'm sure you'll have no problems with the stock 9-bolt as long as you don't put a brake in the trans. I have no doubt that the stock rear would not survive even one 20# trans brake/sticky tire launch attempt.

Originally posted by webleyaz
I have no doubt that the stock rear would not survive even one 20# trans brake/sticky tire launch attempt.

Buddy of mine has a TTA, ran a 11.95@112 with the stock 9-bolt. Ran 23#'s of boost and left the line at 4K(trans brake) and the rear held up, though a few more of them i think it'd take a **** :)