TTA front sway bar factory mount modification

asassinetta

Someone help. I just received the front sway bar for my TTA from the original owner. After many months of waiting it just showed up. The bar and the sway bar bushings were all he could find. After going to my local dealer, all they could provide were the center brackets and bushing. I have a set of endlinks. When attempting to install the sway bar, the bar does not clear the intercooler intake.

The original center mounting brackets were, according to the GM 1989 TTA Service manual supplement, "redesigned for the 20th Anniversary Trans Am". There were no illustrations showing the "redesign". Since there are no other TTA's around me I can look at, can someone clue me in? Shadetreeing it, it appears that a 1 1/2 to 2 inch spacer to the 2 center mounting brackets is all that is needed. Would really appreciate any pics or specs on this "redesign" to the center sway bar mounting hardware. Thanks a ton!

I just looked at mine, and against the unibody rail there is a flat plate with the two holes for the swaybar bolts. Then, there is a stamped sorta spacer between the flat piece and the flat side of the bushing. Measuring from the "white painted" unibody to the flat surface of the bushing is 1 & 1/8".

------------------- ------
--- ---
| | 1-1/8"
| |
------------- -------

Thanks alot for crawling under your car! The stamped piece is what I am missing. Time to fab up some spacers! You are the man!, I really appreciate it.

As far as I can see in the GM parts and illustration catalog the 2 brackets holding the sway bar bushings are unique for our TTA's all other parts are identical. Some of the parts seems to be a 89 only thing.

Hey I just happen to have my complete front suspension off and back from being powder coated. So depending on what you need I can prob send good pics and measurements. Give me a call. It will just be easier. I will add that this Saturday I will be doing the install. Chad 815 695 5290

Yep they needed to move the bar down to clear the IC scoop hence the spacer and the longer U brackets .... so the normal setup will work fine (from any other 3rd Gen) if you just use a spacer plate inbetween and longer bolts !