You can type here any text you want

TTA gauge cluster

• Thread starter Thread starter Cakes
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

Cakes

I posted this in the General Tech and noone replied. I was wondering if the TTA speedo was electronic just like the other 3rd gen firebirds? If so how is it hooked in to the VSS so that the computer doesnt set a code and the speedo still works? I am asking because I want to persure putting a 1990-1992 Camaro Z28 Gauge cluster in my car and that has an electronic speedo and if the TTA one is electronic I think it would make it simple to wire and hook up. Thanks!

Yes the TTA have a electronic speedo. The VSS feeds it's signal to a small yellow box next to the ECM that divides the signal to the speedo, to the ecm and to the cruise controll. All you need is this box and you can install a electronic speedo in any car (as long as you install the VSS in your transmission). I've done this in my 84 F-bird and it works fine with a 91 cluster.

Jan, Thanks for the info. The reason I am asking is because I want to try and install a 1990-1992 Camaro Gauge cluster in my GN. So ur saying all I need is an aftermarket VSS(I dont think the factory one is made anymore) and get this yellow box and hook one end to the ECM and the other to the speedo and all is well? Next question is the tach...will a v8 tach work on our V6? Do I have to search for a V6 gauge cluster? Thanks again!

You would need a V6 tach as they differ.
Take a look at this page from my 84 Firebird install, it will give you the details of how to hook it up and also you can see what to look for (yellow box and VCC, I picked bothe the box and the VCC from a wrecked car for about 15 USD).
http://la.rsson.com/mixed/speedo.html

Any questions just ask, hope this helps.

Jan

Jan, Thanks again. I read your article and I understand pretty much everything and what I need but I am having a problem. I dont quite understand how the ecm will get this VSS signal so it will not set a code? Do I have to splice it into the existing VSS already in the car or what? I am assuming the 1989 TTA is setup the same as your firebird but how does it get that speed info to the comp? Thanks again!

In the TTA you already have the VSS and the yellow box, on of the cables from the yellow box feeds the signal (speed) to the ECM so you can tap in on the cable to the speedo cluster and get it working.

Not sure if this helps or not on the v6 / v8 tach question but I seem to recall a company called Dakota Digital that makes a ton of gadgets centered around such conversions. To be honest I seem to think I recall reading something along the same lines as this thread where a guy used one of their converters to work out the signal difference to ramp up from 6 to 8 cylinders.

Jan,

I will go take a look at your page but in case it is not covered...

I know what yellow box you speek of. Same box on all of the 3rd gen cars? How do you account for different wheel sizes in the spedo calibration, is it just a different drive gear in the tranny like the old cable driven days so that you ended up leaving the rest of the system (yellow box, VSS, speedo) the same to make the build process for the car easier?

Latter,

Brent

Brent, I am pretty sure it is just like the old days where the speedo gears just come off and go onto the new VSS in the tranny. Take a look at this link and click on the VSS to enlarge the pic and you may get a better understanding of what it is like. It seems to me that the stock speedo gear will just fit onto the VSS and everthing will read ok.

About the hookup to the ECM...would it be true that the brown wire (the one not used in Jans description) is the one that is needed to be hooked up to the ecm from the yellow buffer box? If it is then I pretty much know how to get it hooked up and make everything work now I just have to work on getting the cluster to fit and look like it belongs there. Thanks!

Just different drive gears in the tranny like on any cable driven version. The yellow box (or 4 to 1 buffer) is the same in all these cars and just divides the signal different ways to the different sources (ECM, Speedo, Crouise).

In my 84 I had the cable drivven speedo and just reused the drive gear with the VSS and been using it like that for the past 4 years or so. Works fine!
The brown cable is for the ECM and the red one for the cruise control module.

After reading Jan's page I was thinking the same about the gear. Nice to know the old cable driven gear worked on the VSS. Just a few things to stash away in the back of the mind should I ever want to do the same type of conversion. Thanks guys!!

Brent

Back