TTA Guys I need help

boosted231

I am installing a Terry Houston DP on a TTA. After removing the stock downpipe and trying to feed the new downpipe from the bottom the pipe is so large it is hitting the header flange for the crossover pipe and the frame. I noticed that the factory downpipe has been reduced to fit and I know this th pipe was on a running tta. How do you guy's make this thing fit? The Houston pipe that was taken off another tta has not been bent in any way to fit. Do I have to undo the motor mount and jack the motor up to get this thing in? Do I have to jack the back of the car up to make more room? Once in is this dp going to hit the frame? I know some of you guys have been through this and any pointers you could give me would be appreciated. Such misery for the sake of power. Thanks for your help, Kevin

It has been a while...But if I remember correctly,I fed mine in from the top,But I had the car on a lift...I do know the car will have to be up off the ground a good amount.The higher the better.

I didnt jack up the motor or anything like that.BUt it is a P.I.T.A. to install.I also wound up taking mine back out and cutting it to gain some clearance between the downpipe and my subframe connectors.

3" Downpipe

FEED FROM BOTTOM;
Remove the cross-over pipe.Jack the front of car up high enough to get a good angle,Don't forget the jack stands!!!!
Now,corkscrew it in.It's not easy!Be patient!
It will go in.You might have to dimple[beat the heck out of] the pipe @ the point
of contact with the header flange.Then reassemble the cross-over pipe.
The mounting bolts will be hard to access.Again,be patient!!
You may also have to fabricate a small bracket to connect downpipe with factory eyelet used to firm up the assembly.
It's not a job I look back & see as easy,but,well worth the extra effort.
I also eliminated the cat & used a off-road pipe w/dump.

GOOD LUCK,

DAVID

When installed you will not have but about a 1/16 of an inch clearence between header and pipe. If the motor mounts are originals put some new ones in they tend to squash down. If the car has sub-frame connectors or you plan on putting them you will need to take about an inch out of the outward turn.

Hi,
Is all this stuff necessary? How fast do you want to go? I guess you arecomitted now,but I question the original goal. 2.5 inch stocker can get you into the 11s, with preparation.Just a thought....

Just A Reply

If you ever compared the 3" downpipe next to the stocker,you will see the reason for the upgrade.
The stock downpipe is bent and dimpled and flatened in places. Changing to the 3" downpipe is like taking the banana out of your tail pipe.
;) Now your TTA can breath!!!!
All of this is not nessessary,but,"WHO CARES",it's fun!

Recent upgrades as follows:
6152 turbo, 60lb injectors, new valve springs, razor alky kit, orange stripe converter, 62mm tb and plenum, translator and ls1 maf, bov, I believe he has an extender chip but not sure, it took quite a while to get ahold of a thdp and we want to make this work. Did not want the factory downpipe to be a cork in this combo.
Also all the suspension has been upgraded including sub-frame connectors, rear control arms,springs, sway bars, brakes, etc... This car should really fly, only thing that has not been upgraded was the downpipe. Alot of money has been spent upgrading this car and we sure don't want to open the hood and look at that ugly factory downpipe. I know the potential of the factory dp but to compliment everything that has been done the houston dp was in order. Also the car has the ATR three inch cat back exhaust. Don't know how fast this thing will run yet but it will have some potential. Thanks

Thats top secret information, just kidding, bought the dp from a member that was listed in the for sale section awhile back.