TTA wont start

Sy1680

when I turn the key to start the car, the radio cuts out and the temp gauge jumps to maximum, and one of the relays pictured below also clicks (its hard to tell which one it is). the motor won't turn at all.

IMG_1774.jpg

no fuses are blown, and all electronics work when the key is in the on position. I checked the battery with a meter and it was fine.

Does anyone know what the relays pictured above are for?

Sounds like a weak positive batt connection. Maybe not but I would start there. Good Luck Jon Hanson

Your problem more than likely is VATS related or bad starter. See how much voltage your getting on the terminal that activates the starter when you move the key forward..

That relay IIRC is the relay for the antenna. Unplug it or turn the radio off and it'll stop clicking.

As for the no start. Check to see you have 12volts at the battery terminal. If you do and you wanna be ambitious check the voltage with the key forward at the starter terminals. If you do it could either be the starter itself or the vats....

I'm just not sure whether VATS acts as an interrupt upon cranking or if it kills the ignition circuit from the get go......

Someone else with VATS experience hopefully will chime in.

I'm going to say a bad ground strap from the motor to the chassis.

My trucks ground strap broke once and I replaced every damn thing that starts the truck before someone suggested the $5 part :mad:

Now then, with my TTA . . . sometimes my VATS won't let it start. I have to push in the key a little more and it will start. It really doesn't even feel like the key moves but a fraction of a millimeter it's so sensitive.

Hi,
I agree that the VATS could be enabled, which would cause you, a bad puppy, to have problems starting the car. VATS will not allow engagement of the starter, and will kill the fuel injector signals. I also agree that it is quite possible that VATS won't allow you to start the vehicle normally;it will start and stall initially,or click and die. Wait 15 minutes, then try again. Insert the key firmly and fully, then crank it and see what happens. Good luck!

Checked battery connections, they are good.

Tired a known good battery, didn't change anything.

Security Light comes on and then turn off indicating that the resistor in the key is read correctly.

I have no voltage on the starter enable relay when I try to crank. I tried a jumper wire between the two large wires, but nothing happens because there is no voltage on the two smaller wires.

I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on and all of the accessories work in the car when the key is on. When I try to crank, nothing happens except the radio does turn off. weird.

I guess now it sounds like its either the VATS module behind the dash or the ignition cylinder?

problem fixed.

It wasn't VATS related. It had to do with an alarm system that a previous owner installed. It is now removed and no longer causing problems.

I will give all details later, but now I gotta get back in the garage so I can go cruise around tonight!

Hi,
I agree that the VATS could be enabled, which would cause you, a bad puppy, to have problems starting the car. VATS will not allow engagement of the starter, and will kill the fuel injector signals. I also agree that it is quite possible that VATS won't allow you to start the vehicle normally;it will start and stall initially,or click and die. Wait 15 minutes, then try again. Insert the key firmly and fully, then crank it and see what happens. Good luck!

I'm glad this issue has finally been addressed here. If you put the key in a TTA like a limp-wristed fairy it won't start. :biggrin: