You can type here any text you want

tuning ?'s for big stuff 3

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpwalt1987

hey everybody, finally made it to the track a few weeks ago. i have been trying to get a half way decent tune on my car with the big stuff 3 system and 72s. i had to start over on the tune when i got to the track because some how the program got erased. way to start off the day!! anyway the car went what it says in the sig below after a few passes of tuning. the car wouldnot leave on much boost, maybe about 2psi. therefore my 60ft times are junk. the turbo finally got spooled to 23psi about the 60ft mark. i got my afr to right about 11.5 with 0% correction on the big end. my question is what is the "boost spark and boost fuel setting on the system, and how can i use these to decrease spool up time. i have a RJC boost contoller and an ATR wastegate(gasp!) the boost contoller was just about all the way in too. any ideas. this car should be way faster than it is running. about a second faster actually. any thoughts would be appreciated. jeremy

Quote's for BS3 Manual
"The GEN3’s Starting Line Timing feature allows the engine to build boost at the starting line. The feature is primarily focused at stick shift cars, but works equally well with automatic cars. The Starting Line Timing feature can be used in conjunction with the 2-Step to maximize starting line performance!"

"How to Use With Automatic (transmission) Cars – For automatic cars, the ignition timing should not be retarded. You want to use whatever ignition timing values the engine requires to build boost and make the car leave hard."

How much stall in the converter ? perhaps to tight
Waste gate pushing off early
A/F at launch
Timing at launch
Some things to look at.

dale, the convertor i have is a 3800 9in CPT (art carr) unit. and the wastegate has a RJC boost controller on it. it not supposed to let the wastegate crack open early. it is a an old atr gate though. as far as the instructions go, those where not in my users manual. i have read it front to back at least 3 times. maybe it got updated after i bought mine? i dunno. i think if i could have staged with more boost with out the car pushing through the lights things would have been better. brakes just wouldnt hold or the tires were sliding. Big Stuff 3 is the first aftermarket unit i have ever used so the learning curve is still kinda slow. any quick pointers would be great. thanks again. jeremy

You might have a Gen1 unit, Gen3 has the manual in the software you can download software of the website http://www.bigstuff3.com under Manuals. Your WOT A/F is good. You need to leave with more boost, I can't give any quick pointers without the car & the laptop in front of me. Alot of this is seat of the pants feel. I have bin tuning aftermarket managments systems for almost 20 years and found their are not 2 the same.

Jeremy,

My story sounds alot like yours except I went 131 mph thru the traps. 2 psi boost at launch, a real doggy 1.9 60' time, and 11.20 ET. But when it came up on the boost.......Holy Sheet Batman, hang on. I haven't been back to the track to play with timing, but I am installing a much looser converter to see what happens.

Dave

Back