Turbo 4-banger in new Camaro??

IEATV8S

NEW YORK -- General Motors is considering a four-cylinder engine for the new Chevrolet Camaro as a response to rising fuel prices.

Speaking on the sidelines of the New York auto show, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said the drivetrain under consideration for the Camaro is a high-performance 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected four-cylinder rated at 260 hp. Lutz said that if fuel prices continue to climb, the four-cylinder Camaro could see production.

Lutz confirmed to Automotive News that the V-6 version of the Camaro will be powered by the same high-tech V-6 used in the Cadillac CTS. It’s a direct-injected, 3.6-liter four-cam V-6. In the CTS, the engine is rated at 304 hp.

In the Camaro, the 3.6 liter’s horsepower should be around 260, Lutz said, Fuel economy, he said, will be around 17 mpg city and 25 highway. That would place the V-6 Camaro among best in class for a performance car.

Lutz said GM has dropped plans to offer a low-priced, entry-level Camaro with one of GM’s low-tech V-6s.

Most enthusiast attention has focused on the Camaro’s V-8 engine, which is likely to be a 6.0-liter with about 400 hp. Lutz said the V-8 will have a cylinder cutoff system that shuts down half the engine when the car reaches cruising speed. That will help it get better fuel economy.

But Lutz said he thinks most buyers will opt for the V-6 because the performance will be strong, especially when the engine is combined with a manual transmission.

“Back in the old days, if you wanted a muscle car, to get a decent one, you had to buy the V-8,” Lutz said. “And if you bought the V-6, you got a fairly rough, unrefined pushrod engine with low horsepower and poor performance.

“This time, the V-6 is 260-odd horsepower, four overhead cams, very smooth and decent 0-to-60-mph times. And now the V-6 is in its own right a very fast, very legitimate car."

Neat thing about this is the 4 banger turbo has produced over 1000H.P. in modified form!!!! Sounds like the good old days only with a 4 banger and a Camaro!

GM Prods Ecotec to 1000 HP - The Car Connection

V6 engine

All-aluminium construction
Dual overhead camshaft (DOHC)
4-valve-per-cylinder valvetrain
Roller-finger follower valvetrain
Continuously variable cam phasing
Electronic throttle control (ETC)
Forged-steel crankshaft
Piston-cooling oil jets
Coolant-loss protection software
GM's Oil Life System
32 bit microprocessor
Coil-on-plug ignition

This could be a bad little V6 engine 300 hp and then it would awesome to turbocharge it. Direct injection ,varaible valve timing.Think it has 6main journal caps andthe oil pan is aluminum baffled and has windage tray 6 qt capacity. The 32 bit micro processor (most advanced ever used by GM)is able to monitor/control knock in each individual cylinder. Forged crank ,piston cooling jets this would be a bad little V6 to put in a Buick. Probably cheaper then a stage engine if you could get one with the processor and modify it for Regal use. Couldn't imagine this motor with a bb 6776 turbo and IC and torque convertor from Dusty, don't know how the new 6 speed automatic would hold up

Attachments

• 1676_7mg.jpg
    1676_7mg.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 268
What a poorly written article. I would give whoever wrote it an F if I were their high school English teacher.

The main topic initially seems to be about a 4 cyl camaro (presumably the gxp solstice ecotec) and then turns into a random discussion of the V6. Speaking of which, the rated mileage of 17/25 is no better than an LS1.

I agree, that article must have been written drunk.

Turbo 4-cyl would be interesting. 4 banger turbos are certainly doing well in the import scene. Not sure what it would do in a big heavy American car.

If anyone's buying a Camaro for gas mileage in the first place they're pretty stupid.

4 banger

Pardon my ignorance and lack of education gentlemen. In reading my post I can definately see why you came to the conclusion that a drunk must have written it. It was all over the place and I indeed veered away from the initial subject. Pablo you are correct English was not my best subject back in High School to my shame. What's funny and sobering in regards to my drunken penmanship is that by the grace of God I've been clean and sober since 1983. Thank you both I will definately work on the areas you pointed out. Peace

You can't beat direct-injection and with the over head cams can you say one high revving motor. I would like to see a turbo on that V6. With that technology you can make some serious power. :) I would love to do something with that motor in my GN someday.

If they put in a 3.6L Ecotec turbo motor no one will complain. That is one badd mo fo that can take over 1000hp on the stock internals. Both Ecotec motors are slaying the records and would be a way better fit for our time.

And are you sure they are not quoting new EPA gas mileage figures vs old EPA figures?? A lot of people are not aware that the new gas figures are more realistic and are lower on total mileage.

Pardon my ignorance and lack of education gentlemen. In reading my post I can definately see why you came to the conclusion that a drunk must have written it. It was all over the place and I indeed veered away from the initial subject. Pablo you are correct English was not my best subject back in High School to my shame. What's funny and sobering in regards to my drunken penmanship is that by the grace of God I've been clean and sober since 1983. Thank you both I will definately work on the areas you pointed out. Peace

Gee, I don't know ChavoLC2, I understood your article just fine, as did 50+ Corvette owners that posted about it! So it rambled a little, Better then a lot of others I've seen posted on the net! I guess some on this forum are just not as forgiving as others are! Must be that liberal college education! Gives them that elitist, snob attitude!

I wasn't talking about your post chavo, unless you were the original writer of the first post. If that is the case then I apologize for coming off rudely to you. I thought it was a published news source that wrote it in which case I found it not to the level I would have expected. OTOH, Just posting on internet forums gives you a little leeway to bend the rules.

:D I love the post by Belloc on the thread on corvetteforum. "How many Corvettes have been OWNED by a 6 cyl Supra?" LOL!!!

I have a friend at work who has a 4cyl MazdaSpeed3 who has already done exhaust & intake, and has the intercooler & BOV on order.. If he's able to get traction, I'm not sure I'd want to be near him in my vette:eek: .

I don't really see how GM expects to get better mileage out of a smaller engine in a heavy car. When I was commuting 22miles each way to work, my vette was getting nearly 22mpg. Now if GM would throw a turbo on the 6cyl camaro, they'd be onto something!!!

Nobody was referring to your post... :confused:

It's all cool ..

This is the engine going into the 40 yr. Anniversary 2009 Camaro/Z28 a Quadruplet turbo'd DZ502 version they are going to shoehorn into the Camaro if the little turbo Ecotec 4 banger doesn't suit your mpg fancy. This ought to have a lil more ummph but gas mileage will suffer.

Attachments

• mike_moran.jpg
    mike_moran.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 109
This is the engine going into the new Z28 a Quadruplet turbo DZ502 version they are going to shoehorn into the Camaro if the little turbo Ecotec 4 banger doesn't suit your fancy. This ought to have a lil ummph.

What ever happened to this quad turbo motor? Did they ever dyno it? I remember seeing it on the cover of Hot Rod magazine in the early 90's

If I had a fag like that hanging all over my motor I wouldn't want it in my car either. ;)