You can type here any text you want

Turbo 400 or POWER GLIDE ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BAGN

God Bless America!!!
After doing some hard thinking, I'm not gonna try to run my 200r behind my Stage II/Stage II Motor (can't afford to keep replacing the weakest link every time out)

Motor should make about 650 to 700 RWHP (Mustangdyn)

My car will weigh between 3550 & 3600 lbs.

I'll be on drag radials (New M/T Drag radials)

Has anybody run a turbo 6 car this heavy with a power glide?

How long has it lasted?

What type of street-ability do you have?

Or should I just put a turbo 400 in it and be done?(not crazy about the HP it takes to move it)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Probably a good choice, not to destroy a built $200R4 :) The TH400 seems to be a solid choice IME; the cost is reasonable and the install is not bad. At your power level and heavy weight the lower 1st gear compared to a 2 speed 'glide is likely a good thing, and still without blowing away the 'hides out of the hole at the track. The TH400 has a nice taller 1st gear than the 200, which I think helps reduce the wheelspin problem at the track vs a 200. Assuming a good 28" tall tire and stock rear gearing of course. Personally I like it very much in my 274" S2/GN1's street car. Interesting that it was not ~ heavier than the 200 if I recall; may have been lighter even.

IME I think low gear in a glide would feel a bit too doggy on the street leaving lights and such and grow kinda tiresome in that regard. I know when I leave a light in 2nd by mistake (full manual trans) that it's reeeally doggy :D Then later I remember to turn off the left blinker too... Eh? What'd you say sonny? lol...

TurboTR

Originally posted by TurboTR
Probably a good choice, not to destroy a built $200R4 :) The TH400 seems to be a solid choice IME; the cost is reasonable and the install is not bad. At your power level and heavy weight the lower 1st gear compared to a 2 speed 'glide is likely a good thing, and still without blowing away the 'hides out of the hole at the track. The TH400 has a nice taller 1st gear than the 200, which I think helps reduce the wheelspin problem at the track vs a 200. Assuming a good 28" tall tire and stock rear gearing of course. Personally I like it very much in my 274" S2/GN1's street car. Interesting that it was not ~ heavier than the 200 if I recall; may have been lighter even.

IME I think low gear in a glide would feel a bit too doggy on the street leaving lights and such and grow kinda tiresome in that regard. I know when I leave a light in 2nd by mistake (full manual trans) that it's reeeally doggy :D Then later I remember to turn off the left blinker too... Eh? What'd you say sonny? lol...

TurboTR

I agree.

BAGN said:
OH, In that case I'm going with the Glide :D

With the power you want to make keeping an AOD Tranny alive will not be easy or cheap. If you are bent on trying I would suggest the FORD AOD Conversion.
In reality the 400 is probably your best buy. Want to but mine, I need a power glide? Jusk kidding I think,\ :confused:

John, I think you need something beefy and the 400 just doesn't seem that great.... that mike's monster glide is looking better and better every time i go to their site. :D

Big Stu said:
John, I think you need something beefy and the 400 just doesn't seem that great.... that mike's monster glide is looking better and better every time i go to their site. :D

I like it to but it is about the same price as my mortgage and my wife likes our house better. :(

John Wilde said:
. . .
In reality the 400 is probably your best buy. Want to but mine, I need a power glide? Jusk kidding I think,\ :confused:

Thanks for the offer,but I've already got a line on a powerglide.(& also a 400) It all comes down to what I sounds best when the time comes. I'm gonna be on M/T drag radial so I'm kinda leaning towards the powerglide w/lock-up. I have several friends w/400 & they have had great success though. I like to be somewhat out of the ordanary,maybe i'll try that ford AOD your talking about ;)

Like Todd said above a Powerglide in anything more than a 3000-3200 lb car is going to be super doggy. The TH400 is the way to go. Super cheap to build and will hold bunches of power with out any real fancy parts. :D

buy a book and buildf your own powerglide, thats what i'm doing, theres not much to them, and if it blows up, you can blame yourself, but for the money you save it will be ok to take the blame.
Grant Farmer

n20junkie said:
buy a book and buildf your own powerglide, thats what i'm doing, theres not much to them, and if it blows up, you can blame yourself, but for the money you save it will be ok to take the blame.
Grant Farmer

I'm not suggesting that he install the glide but I totally agree with Grant on the simplicity of a glide. I bought a core 1.76 unit and a Coan rebuild kit. (Still sitting there too !!) I ended up getting a deal on a built Coan glide and 8" convertor for $1000 on racingjunk.com

Big Stu said:

I have the Monster Glide in my car. Still working after 30 passes without a rebuild. 3485lb car running 8 ohs at 175mph. I just wish it wasn't so expensive ;)

Hell - just drop a "Big Brute" API in that bad boy. I just happen to know where you could get one ....or two.....or three :D :eek: I heard the service support is gggrrreat :D

Nice avatar by the way!

ChrisChow said:
I have the Monster Glide in my car. Still working after 30 passes without a rebuild. 3485lb car running 8 ohs at 175mph. I just wish it wasn't so expensive ;)

I know you do, it's nice to see products used in cars I'm familiar with to base what my money will be spent on. That's probably the one I'll end up buying, although my car will weigh a little less than yours with a tube front and carbon body parts. You still using the neil chance converter?

Bent6 said:
Hell - just drop a "Big Brute" API in that bad boy. . . . I heard the service support is gggrrreat :D

Nice avatar by the way!

You had me @ Hell . :p The "Big Brute" should be called "Big waste of time" considering the amount of wasted phone calls & $$$ spent on shipping.

You like that avatar huh, That pic was taken back in '91 or so. It was going 9.4's in B.G. that year. (Stage I w/200 Trans) Oh how times have changed.

Hope the new kid is doing great. Now go wash dust ol Buick before it turns brown. :)

Chris. Did you switch from a 400 to a glide? If so did the car slow down or pick up? Thanks

steve hughes said:
Chris. Did you switch from a 400 to a glide? If so did the car slow down or pick up? Thanks

I haven't done anything yet. I had a 10 sec. "109" w/200 trans. I'm nearing the Stage II motor completion & trying to deside what trans to go with. Still havn't desided yet :confused:

Back