You can type here any text you want

Turbo 400 or POWER GLIDE ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
steve hughes said:
Chris. Did you switch from a 400 to a glide? If so did the car slow down or pick up? Thanks

It picked up 8 to 10 mph on the big end. No kidding. It must have been a combination of less parasitic loss and decrease in weight. I was originally against the PG but I always wondered why those single turbo mustangs were doing so well with the PG. Plus I got the OK from John Wilde :D

Here's my tranny:

http://www.mikestransmission.com/catalog1.html

The other nice thing is that Mike's transmissions goes to ALL PSCA events that I race. So, if it blows up, I drop the tranny and bring it to his big rig truck :cool:

ChrisChow said:
It picked up 8 to 10 mph on the big end. No kidding. It must have been a combination of less parasitic loss and decrease in weight. I was originally against the PG but I always wondered why those single turbo mustangs were doing so well with the PG. Plus I got the OK from John Wilde :D

Here's my tranny:

The other nice thing is that Mike's transmissions goes to ALL PSCA events that I race. So, if it blows up, I drop the tranny and bring it to his big rig truck :cool:

The gear ratio in the PG really helps a car with a lot of TQ lauch with boost.
The 2.4 fist gear is not needed if you are making 1600lbs of TQ. :eek:
If I already did not have a 400, I would do a glide for my junk.
I will have to run very little gear in the rear to try and get this thing out on drag radials and small slicks. I am thinking about trying 3.23s

Again another one of those "why are those single turbo mustangs doing so well" question came up. And, the Wilde man hath spoken.

The Neil Chance converter makes spooling actually FUN. I can't believe I said that.

Marty Chance knows his stuff and is always ready to give tech support on his products.

http://www.fasttrackperformance.com/1320pics/Chris' notes on Neal Chance converter.htm

Big Stu said:
I know you do, it's nice to see products used in cars I'm familiar with to base what my money will be spent on. That's probably the one I'll end up buying, although my car will weigh a little less than yours with a tube front and carbon body parts. You still using the neil chance converter?

I have a new FB TH400 with VSC for my 89 TTA drag radial car (if it ever gets finished!). I am not so sure I am sold on it, we put it in Jeffs TSO car in BG after he broke the ATI TH400 and I really didnt notice that much difference, we had the 2 step set at 4600 with 12# of boost and with the VSC activated, I didnt really see it getting there any faster than with the regular trans, which is still plenty quick enough to pro tree it.
I still may opt for a glide in the TTA but $5000 is a tough nut to crack for an auto trans!

ChrisChow said:

Here's my tranny:

Heavy car with a glide isn't supposed to go faster. Another myth busted.

EightSecV6 said:
I have a new FB TH400 with VSC for my 89 TTA drag radial car (if it ever gets finished!). I am not so sure I am sold on it, we put it in Jeffs TSO car in BG after he broke the ATI TH400 and I really didnt notice that much difference, we had the 2 step set at 4600 with 12# of boost and with the VSC activated, I didnt really see it getting there any faster than with the regular trans, which is still plenty quick enough to pro tree it.
I still may opt for a glide in the TTA but $5000 is a tough nut to crack for an auto trans!

Mr. Anderson,

I need a full write up on your TA.
I could use some motivation to finish my junk. :D

BAGN said:
Thats what I'm trying to avoid :(

I raced an entire season without a rebuild on the Monster glide. knock on wood. But you never know, it's the reality of campaigning a 3500lb brick in a series of 8 to 12 events a year.

I will have the tranny torn down this winter just to replace any parts (bands and or clutches) for preventive maintenance. I don't expect to bend or break any hard parts like the input shaft, output shaft, case, valve body.

I plan to test a much cheaper version of the PG in my V8 regal. It's a stock case with a JW bell, vasco shaft and 1.80 straight cuts. The pump and servo has been modded and it has 6 thick clutches in high gear. I didn't have the money at the time for a case, big pump and 10 clutch drum so I have less than 2 g's in it. I have seen a tranny identical to mine make lots of high 5 second 1/8 mile passes and live so I'm gonna try it, the only thing I'm worried about is putting 1500hp through 6 clutches. At the most I should only have to upgrade high gear drum and then pump if we can't get it to hold with the boost cranked up. A local car runs a stock case glide at 3100# to the tune of 7.60's so I'm not scared of the case as long as you have a good motor plate and the car doesn't flex. When the $$$ is available I will upgrade case also.

ChrisChow said:

Here's my tranny:

Chris !This guy is only planning on makeing 850HP with two less cly's & 100 cu.in. Your makeing twice that & monster torque to boot. In fact you probably don't even need two gears. Just run direct drive LOL! So go find a pro mod forum & stop picking on these V/6' s

Nice

LOL :cool:

Look what the cat drug in :eek: ;)

Hey Lou, how many TH400's did you go through in your twin turbo V6 Buick back in the day?

turbolou said:
Chris !This guy is only planning on makeing 850HP with two less cly's & 100 cu.in. Your makeing twice that & monster torque to boot. In fact you probably don't even need two gears. Just run direct drive LOL! So go find a pro mod forum & stop picking on these V/6' s

ChrisChow said:
LOL :cool:

Look what the cat drug in :eek: ;)

Hey Lou, how many TH400's did you go through in your twin turbo V6 Buick back in the day?
I almost forgot about that! I can only tell you that none of the local trans experts still won't speak to me. For awhile I had the most problems with 2nd gear sprags. Finding the right convertor combination was also a challange. Maybe your right by suggesting a glide after all. As long as he steps up & spends the money on the good stuff & deals with someone reputable

Back