You can type here any text you want

Turbo 6 swap in 94 Z28

• Thread starter Thread starter MadKilla
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
M

MadKilla

Hello all, I am new here, some may know me, I am a regular on the F-body boards. I come to ask some questions on a Turbo buick V6 swap into a 94 Z28. My LT1 is in for a rebuild, I was talked out of it by a friend who convinced me the Turbo 6 was the way to go. Well I found a wrecked T-type and have the opportunity to do the swap before I had enough time to collect any info. Any internet sites or helpful advice would be great. Also, if there are places to obtain complete motors, or have done 4th Gen f-body swaps if you could post them i would be quite greatful. here is some background on the swap.

A/C is not an issue, since I planned on pulling it anyway.

I have a Chromoly tubular K-frame ready to go, I heard that the stock 3.8 V6 mounts will work, is this true?

Would going to a manual steering rack ease installation?

Will there be intercooler clearance issues? I am switching to a 98+ Camaro front end, planned on pulling the grill and impact absorber and allow fresh air in from the nose.

What wire harness or CPU issues are there?

The big question, I want to mate the motor to a Viper or Camaro Spec T-56 six speed manual tranny, is this a possiblity? I figure this is the biggest cash outlay portion of the swap, I really, reeeeaaaally want a manual tranny. Is fabrication the big issue, this part might negate the swap if it isn't possible. If it is possible with another transmission or easier, that would be OK.

Thanks for any help everyone, hope to see more of you all soon.

Do a search for mounting manual tranny to a TB motor and you will not like it.

Think about it......

I have to admit, I love manual trannys too but, these turbo buick engine's really make up for that. Plus you need two hands on the wheel at all times anyway, dont you remember in drivers ed school 10 and 2:D

Welcome aboard MadKilla:)

Bo

Thank you, its good to be here! :D I have purposely been avoiding coming here or riding in my friends Grand National because i know once I do ride in one I'll end up spending buttloads of money. My LT1 is on its last leg, and my father just got a 2003 Z06 to go with his camaro. So I have to kick his arse within a year, reclaim my spot as top dog in the family. I really wanted a manual tranny, my 02 SS has one and I've fallen in love with rowin through the gears. My LT1 has a auto, and I have to admit the big 3600 stall is fun, just not as much as the manual. I guess I might like a big stall and a big turbo better, who knows. We'll see. ;) :D

Don't give up that easy :) I have thought about doing a 4th gen with a turbo V6 and 6spd. I miss the 6spd that my 96 WS6 had. Granted it more than likely won't be as quick in the 1/4 but it would definitely be more fun. And it would MPH like a mofo. Add a BOV and the times would be a lot closer together. Just can't build boost at the line. But I would imagine it would still be fairly close at the end.

On the street would be a blast! IMHO at least.

Here's a couple of pics of a 6spd TTA. From what I heard its Pontiac's car. Originally an 86 that had numerous engine and finally ended up as a TTA with a ZF6spd in 89.

http://www.kyfbodies.org/photos/tanats02/tanats02009.jpg
http://www.kyfbodies.org/photos/tanats02/tanats02010.jpg

Back