You can type here any text you want

turbo coughed and sentra beat me

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Don

Banned
I was racing a last nite and he took me from a 50mph roll...So we went from a stop for a 1/4 mile and we were neck and neck but my turbo coughed and he pulled on me...

I just spent $800 on new head gaskets and a water pump, removed my a/c unit, installed a new serpintine belt and and installed new hoses, plugs and air filter...besides the turbo coughing one of my vacume hoses came loose...why does it keep coughing under boost and why do I keep loosing to the low end cars I should beat on?

Obviously somethings not right if you had to replace the headgaskets. WTF are you racing it for? Fix the problem before you blow em again. You know it's not right, but your hammerin her anyway, huh?

Could be a ton of things, too much boost, coil pack/module, cam, fuel pump, regulator, MAF.................

Stop racing till it's right please as getting beat by a Sentra on the street..................... I'd kill myself. :rolleyes:

I'll give you a hint.................It's not the turbo coughin.

"What the hell is the world comin to?"

what Russ said.....you should beat a Sentra with the turbo disconnected

turbos don't cough..........

Give your turbo some cough medicine and maybe next time you can beat that Sentra.......

ROTFLMAO!!!

Originally posted by The Don
I was racing a last nite and he took me from a 50mph roll...So we went from a stop for a 1/4 mile and we were neck and neck but my turbo coughed and he pulled on me...

I just spent $800 on new head gaskets and a water pump, removed my a/c unit, installed a new serpintine belt and and installed new hoses, plugs and air filter...besides the turbo coughing one of my vacume hoses came loose...why does it keep coughing under boost and why do I keep loosing to the low end cars I should beat on?

PLEASE say it ain't so!

Last time my turbo coughed it spit out what was left of the Sentra I ran over. ;)

Guys are putting the SR20DET engine in them....The SR20DET can handle 500+ on the stock bottome end. You never know with these imports...:)

The last time my car "coughed" it was as simple as new spark plugs gapped to .032. The 2nd time my car started to "cough" it was a bad Coil Pack. I tested the terminals across the 3 packs with my ohm meter and they good ones read between 11-13k and the bad one read zero. The third time my car "coughed" I blew the uppipe off because since the ignition problems were fixed it was making so much more power! :D

The last time my car "coughed" it was as simple as new spark plugs gapped to .032. The 2nd time my car started to "cough" it was a bad Coil Pack. I tested the terminals across the 3 packs with my ohm meter and they good ones read between 11-13k and the bad one read zero. The third time my car "coughed" I blew the uppipe off because since the ignition problems were fixed it was making so much more power! :D

Ok, im gona try to help you here...

1) DONT RACE YOUR CAR UNTILL YOU FIX YOUR PROBLEM!
2) Turbos dont cough. There are many things that sound like coughs: bad ignition modual, backfires, spark plugs, ECM, blown head gaskets:eek:
3)Do you have a scan tool? If you dont, this is a big NO NO. You need to know whats going on in your car especialy if your racing or tuning for power!
4) How much boost are you runing?
5) whats your idle fuel pressure?
6) does the car "cough" while crusing or just at WOT?

With this info, we can help you. Without it, your on your own.

And please, for the sake of you, your car, and the TR community, dont race untill its up to snuff!:(

BOOSTD

Wow. A Sentra. Man, I am feelin' for ya, that's gotta hurt.

Get us some info so we can help you out. You don't want to go out like that.

Last time my Buick coughed, it was fuel pump related. :eek: Check your pressure under boost along with the other suggestions.

Which vacuum line blows off, the boost reference line to the regulator? That would certainly cause coughing, blown head gaskets and the painful embarassement of being shamed by an import. Learn more about your car by using the search feature and reading. It's tempting to race but if there's something wrong you'll hurt the car and cost yourself lots of money.

Originally posted by The Don
thanks for the help ass holes...

he doesn't have an sr20det!

No one said he did. Just saying that some of them have the SR20DET. If you got beat by the 1.6 liter, you have some serious problems.......

I once lost to a black Cherokee but only because my intercooler hose blew off ;) haha I think I could beat a Sentra without even using the boost! :p

Taffy-obviously I have problems with my car....

How come when ever any1 comes to an automotive forum with a question you get lashed out at! WTF!

Thanks 4 da info
BOOSTD
bishir
scottyb

One of the problems was the waste gate it was lodged shut for some reason...I clamped down all the hoses correctly and got the wastegate to operate properly...now it boosts fine according to the gauge but the turbo is going bad...it has high mileage on it and it has some shaft play...sometime when I drive the car it really pulls hard some times not matter what the gauge reads it just doesn't! the cam has some wear in one spot so I know it needs to be replaced soon but other than that all the internals were fine...the only thing I can think of is maybe the vaccum lines weren't set up correctly.

Back