You can type here any text you want

Turbo Crank ID?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stage169

What is an easy way to know if the crank is a turbo or NA crank?

I've read the NA crank is rolled filled at edge of the main journals and not the rod journals. The crank I have both look the same. From some of the pictures on the net this radius must be hard to see?

Thanks, Brian

Brian,
I guess it depends on the pic. ALL turbo cranks have rolled fillets on both the rods and mains.

I realize it is probably simple enough to tell for somebody who has seen both but I haven't. This 109 engine came out of an 86 Bonneville made in Mexico I think. I guess it should not be a turbo crank but if you don't mind this evening I'll try and get a good pic of it and see what you think. This is about the best picture I've seen on the net. Brian

Rolledfillet.GIF

What is an easy way to know if the crank is a turbo or NA crank?

I've read the NA crank is rolled filled at edge of the main journals and not the rod journals. The crank I have both look the same. From some of the pictures on the net this radius must be hard to see?

Thanks, Brian

sometimes its hard to see in a pic but if you have it in your hands its extremely easy------sometimes there will be a dark circle at the edges of the crank journal where the rod bearing doesn't touch that sometimes looks like a groove in a picture--------but the groove is about .030 deep and you can easily see it and feel it with your fingernail............RC

I ran my fingernail over a main and rod journal and did not feel a groove. It is not 90 degrees either. Probably not the turbo crank but I might get a better idea a friend has a 4.1 crank that he thinks is original so I can compare. Pic is not very good - Thanks for the help! Brian

Attachments

• Crank14.jpg
    Crank14.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 145
Originally I put my finger on the journal and went to the edge and couldn't feel it on the main. Starting at the edge first I could definitely feel the groove on the main but not the rod journal. Now I know for sure! Brian

Back