You can type here any text you want

Turbo exhaust issue and headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dmarx

Hey guys,
All past replies from ya' all have been great, so here is another question. I need to bend the turbo exhaust tube a little tighter or perhaps convert to a flexible exhaust tube. I need an additional 3 inch of bend to get clearence for the exhaust. Can I do this and not effect the back pressure? All replies are greatly appreciated. Also, does any make a set of headers for the '79 turbo?

Thanks
Dan
803-425-8649
Rembert, SC

Attachments

• P1000575_edited.jpg
    P1000575_edited.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 144
  • P1000573_edited.jpg
    P1000573_edited.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 144
For a stocker It should be alright if you need to make the bend you already have on there a little tighter.
The stock dump pipe has a lot more bends in it than what you have currently. As long as it's relatively free flowing an almost 180 bend will be fine on a stock engine like what you have.

Hey guys,
All past replies from ya' all have been great, so here is another question. I need to bend the turbo exhaust tube a little tighter or perhaps convert to a flexible exhaust tube. I need an additional 3 inch of bend to get clearence for the exhaust. Can I do this and not effect the back pressure? All replies are greatly appreciated. Also, does any make a set of headers for the '79 turbo?

Thanks
Dan
803-425-8649
Rembert, SC

You need to get some mandrel bent tubes Dan. Then you can get the clearance you need and a little more power. There are several companies that offer tubes pre bent and it's up to you how big but you're a little too close for my liking.

for headers, jumping up to the standard 84/85 tubular HA manifold will make a decent performance increase.

A.j.

I just realized how early that intake is Dan. That's one of the 78 intakes. I just noticed the posistion of the water outlet.

Yes, this is an early intake/engine, a '79. Will the 84/85 headers fit?
Dan

Yes, this is an early intake/engine, a '79. Will the 84/85 headers fit?
Dan

provided that it has the later tall port heads, they should bolt up.

they will physically bolt up to the older short port heads, but the port mismatch will negate any advantage the headers might have offered.

A.j.

Back