You can type here any text you want

Turbo HEI dist question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dmarx

You have been a lot of help in the past, so here is my not so bright question. I am trying to start a '79 3.8 Turbo engine, new build. Is it necessary to have the turbo electronics connected at the distributor to get the engine to fire? I have a wire from the battery to the dist, and have no spark, got power at the module.
Thanks
dan

Yes you need the control module hooked up with the knock sensor.The knock sensor doesnt have to be hooked up but the module definately does.
You can Install a normal hei module and run it that way but you wont get any retard for detonation that is if you system works as its supposed to.

By golly, you guys come thru again, put a hot wire to the turbo control module and it really has spark. thanks again. This boatrd is great.
Dan

Like a slap on the ass for a job well done, only I'm not slapping.:eek:

My task at this time is to ensure the engine is running good. I picked this up from someone who needed some cash. Now that I have spark, duh!!, I can get it running. Still trying to fingd a knock sensor that doesn't cost a fortune.
Thanks for the encouragement.

You won't find a cheap one but you may be able to adapt one from the 82-87 design.

^^^how is that?? It sure as hell looks like a knock sensor.

just because it looks like one doesnt mean it is.

ever wondered why its so much more expensive then the others?

the idea and concept is the same as a knock sensor, but relies on a different method to detect knock other than piezo-electric types of signals.

A.j.

Back