Turbo LT1

jdpolzin

Does anybody know of any single turbo headers that will fit an LT1? I've been searching the LT1 forums but nobody seems to make anything that will work with these motors. Any ideas??? Am I going to have to make my own out of the stockers??? ------Jeremy

I don't think anyone has them. I have a turbo LT1 in my IROC. You can port match SBC headers by adding extra material to them and getting out the grinder.

Otherwise, I don't think you will have much luck- they are sold in high dollar kits for the 4th gens. You could post on thirdgen.com and see if anyone has ideas. LT1's are a great swap for those and people are doing a lot with them.

YouTube - Turbo Camaro

Is that what you used for your LT1, just SBC headers? What kit did you use? I like the car man, sounds great. Seems like you have some sort of cam in there by the lumpyness. What are the details on your motor???? Turbo???? Cool car and your not too far from me. Are you running 60lb injectors?

I know a shop that could make a set ;)

I know a shop that could make a set ;)

And I would definately do that if I had the money! They would be sweet. For now, I just want to rrig up something to make it work. When I get more money and actually do the car correctly, maybe I can ship my rigged up set out to you and have you make a nice set? right now this car is strictly budget based. There are some cheap ebay SBC headers I was planning to use but I cant seem to find anything except for twin turbo set ups.

How far off are the regular SBC ports compared to the LT1's? Otherwise the bolt pattern is the same for them right? Also, did you run a cross pipe in front of the motor or behind??? Were you able to use all the accessories? AC?

why not just use a real motor,,,the Vortec 5.3 are really cheap and everyone and the mother are doing setups,,,why go back in time....if you need a model T motor,I can hook you up.....J/K

what are you putting it in? I am going to start on mine around march, doing a single 80mm DBB turbonetics Y2k. Looking to do around 700whp on the stock unported heads for now.

It's going in my 85 Regal. The reason for using the LT1 is becuase the cost is cheap, LT1 programming is cheap, power can be BIG, parts are cheap and available, and again I may say the key work "CHEAP"!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found my motor for $300 buckaroos complete with everything including, harness, ECM, accessories, etc. Cant beat that. Just think all those people yanking out their LT1's to put these Vortec motors in and need to sell the LT1's, I swoop in and use those model T motors to make good power. This is just a simple little project I took on.

make sure your cooling system is on point...this LT1 are non to have big issues with overheating..if you can get a hold of a LT4 package youll make some serious power

The LT1 is a fantastic motor. It has power all across the board and is very strong.

My engine is a 93, with a TPIS ZZ9 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, LT4 intake, completely reworked LT1 heads, eagle rods, approx 11.7:1 compression, and Gen 6 DFI. With a built 700r4 and 4.10 gears on stock sized BFG drag radials. The car hooks fantastic and pulls all the way to 7300 (where I put the rev limiter, engine wants to keep going).

A friend of mine has a 2001 WS6, six speed, cam, tune and just about every bolt on made. The Iroc would leave and he could never catch me motor to motor. We have yet to line up turbo to spray.

LT1's don't have anymore cooling issues than other cars, they are just different. You need to properly route the steam line from the heads and make sure the radiator has a good fan.

A friend made the headers for me, they are based on an SBC flange. On motor I used to run Edelbrock shortys- from my old TPI, just port matched. The crossover is in the front.

I run 009's with a 340 pump and hotwire kit. At 2 lbs of boost, the alcohol injection kicks in. I've had no problems, it's still tuned very fat so I have to work that out. I run 7-8lbs of boost and with the manual controller it spiked to 13lbs on night (didn't take convertor lockup into account when I shifted it- now putting in an electronic controller). This is on almost 12:1 compression, with just a studded 2-bolt main.

The Lt1's were quickly eclpised by the LS1's in publicity, but these engines are great. The real issue is the stupid optispark. Mine went out right after I put the motor in, went with a GM replacement (with MSD box and coil), had no other issues. Or you could get your intake drilled and just drop in a normal distributor.

Sorry, it's a T04B, 60-1 compressor witha 1.00 a/r exhaust housing. 2 1/2" crossover pipe with 3" downpipe.

I don't have A/c because I would have to notch the frame and I use a manual steering box too. The bolt pattern is the same as an SBC. The ports are slightly lower than SBC ports from the bolt holes. The LT1 is also a little wider and lower than an SBC, but not by much (came into play with the tight 3rd gen engine bay, but should be no issues for a regal).

Great, do you know Prasad?? I think he may have mentioned you to me. I should get your number so we can keep in touch. We have similar ideas here. I say why spend all the money to have the big hype of the LS based motors. I have read a ton about these LT1's and seems like people that get into them are really happy with how they perform. Seems kinda similar to the Buick V6's????!!!!

Yes, I know Parsad. He actually mentioned your project to me a few weeks ago. I like the LT1 a lot, plus Trick Flow is coming out with 21 degree heads in the spring. More parts keep being made, LSx's have to start watching out.